Mares Volo vs. Aqualung Blades II. Worth paying the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a good pair of fins. One local store is recommending the Blades 2 or Biofins while another highly recommends the Volo's. The Volo's and Biofins are exactly twice the amount of the Blades.

I know the Volo's are supposed to be good, but would you recommend paying 2x the amount, or save the cash and get the blades?

any advice will be appreciated,

thanks!

TinoD'Voe:
I'm looking for a good pair of fins. One local store is recommending the Blades 2 or Biofins while another highly recommends the Volo's. The Volo's and Biofins are exactly twice the amount of the Blades.

I know the Volo's are supposed to be good, but would you recommend paying 2x the amount, or save the cash and get the blades?

thanks!

Evenryone has their own opinion on fins, however there are some that have strong opinions against Volos. They are overly complcated and the "hinges" that make them so flexible can wear out and break over time. I would personally go with the Blades. They are a great stadard fin and are virtually indestructible Besides with the money you save by buying the blades you can pick up some Manta spring straps and ditch the less reliable heel straps that the Blades, and most other fins, come with.

By the way, I'm not pushing the Blades because I own them. I have a set of Mares Quatros. I was considering the Blades and the Quatros and just went with the Quatros for no particular reason. The Quatros are good fins too. I do use spring straps though. They are the best single change I have made to me dive gear.

TinoD'Voe:

thanks!

I own three pairs of the original Blades and they work very well for me. I probably would buy the new Blades, or something very similar, if I need new fins.

Follow the KISS principle; it works well for diving.

I have a pair of Volos as well, I like them fine but I also prefer the Quattros, never tried the Blades however. On the other hand, I have heard good things about the Biofins. Larry with Scubatoys could help you here, Larry?

freediver:
I have a pair of Volos as well, I like them fine but I also prefer the Quattros, never tried the Blades however. On the other hand, I have heard good things about the Biofins. Larry with Scubatoys could help you here, Larry?

I use the Bios... According to all the tests... most efficient, and fastest fin. More movement with less energy. But I don't care about what some magazine says. I'm in the nice situation where manufacturers send me anything new so I can try it, and I've tried them all - and I'll still take the bios over the volo, volo power, or any standard paddle fin.

But if you look - there is no shortage of bio fin threads, and bio fin opponents. But I love 'em.

I've got the original Blades, they were a good deal and work just fine for me.

I use Blades II. But I have a wide foot and a lot of fins don't fit me. Comfortable fit is the first thing I look for. I have probably 200 + dives on my Blades and they show little wear. A good, simple fin.
Tim

Jet fins Rule!!!!

I've never tried blands, but I do have a pair of open foot Volo's Race, and liked them so much that I upgraded my TUSA closed foot fins for Volo Power. Fins are all a matter of individual preferance. My husband uses Quatro's and prefers them over my Volo's in strong current. I agree with Dive Tyme and think comfort and fit are most important. Even the top rated fins won't be right ones for you if they are uncomfortable while diving. My husband discovered this the hard way.

Happy Shopping

Sylvie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom