Sunday: Dive Two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Second dive, different strobe. Finally got the Inon to fire (it was me not being awake so early that caused the initial problems!) but it seemed to give way too much light. I was forced to shoot 1/1000+ and f6.3 or f8...not sure why, but am pretty sure it is user error...will head out today again and test some things. Anyway, on to the dive:

Very pretty Blacktipped Cod sitting on a ledge. He allowed two shots...this is the second, which is a nice bonus as the pose is better than the first shot!
8823blacktipcod_negV.jpg

Not so pretty, but effective...you do not settle on the ground on some of our dive sites and you need to be very careful putting even a finger down. My buddy saw this guy, 3/4 buried in the sand, and pointed him out. I wouldn't have seen him and I was hovering about 1.5 feet off the side of this little guy!
8823stoneVleft2.jpg

I'll end with another pretty. This is a Chromodoris coi and there were several out. He did a nice series of poses for me but this one just stuck out of the pack...enjoy:
8823coiV.jpg

Not through them all yet, so will try to get more up here or at least into the gallery. Also diving again this morning, so hope to have a few more!

alcina:
Second dive, different strobe. Finally got the Inon to fire (it was me not being awake so early that caused the initial problems!) but it seemed to give way too much light. I was forced to shoot 1/1000+ and f6.3 or f8...not sure why

Wow. Your camera synchs with a strobe at 1/1000? That's impressive. However, changing shutter speeds won't change your strobe exposure, as the shutter will either be open all the way when the strobe fires or it will only be partially opened and vignette the shot. Of course, the fast shutter speed will affect the ambient exposure. The only ways to affect the strobe exposure is to 1) change f-stops; 2) change the power setting on the strobe; or 3) change the distance between the strobe and the subject.

Nice shots, btw. -Clay

louisianadiver:
Of course, the fast shutter speed will affect the ambient exposure. The only ways to affect the strobe exposure is to 1) change f-stops; 2) change the power setting on the strobe; or 3) change the distance between the strobe and the subject.

Nice shots, btw. -Clay

That's good clarification for everyone, thanks. Did all those things (-5 power setting, long arms and the smallest aperture camera would allow) so have a problem somewhere along the line...my guess is user error :eyebrow: Playing more today...

Actually, at very high shutterspeeds, it does start affecting the strobe exposure.

I find that speeds greater than 1/500s starts reducing the amount of light...

The only ways to affect the strobe exposure is to 1) change f-stops; 2) change the power setting on the strobe; or 3) change the distance between the strobe and the subject.

And so does the ISO.

Alcina, what ISO is you camera set at?

But aren't my pictures pretty?!? :crafty:

Strobe is all working top notch today...photos to come. Must have been gremlins coz I was so rushed that I didn't change anything :wink:

louisianadiver:
Wow. Your camera synchs with a strobe at 1/1000?
Nice shots, btw. -Clay

The camera does not sync at 1/1000th. Highest is 1/500th.

Alcina when setting the shutter this the A70 automatically just reverts back to 1/500th. Nice shot BTW - good that everything seems to be ok now. Make sure you use the diffuser as yes the Z220 is to powerful.

alcina:
But aren't my pictures pretty?!? :crafty:

Strobe is all working top notch today...photos to come. Must have been gremlins coz I was so rushed that I didn't change anything :wink:

Yup, they are. I really love that Coi :thumb:

having some trouble with my eyes....see what? the little red thingie?

Not so pretty, but effective...you do not settle on the ground on some of our dive sites and you need to be very careful putting even a finger down. My buddy saw this guy, 3/4 buried in the sand, and pointed him out. I wouldn't have seen him and I was hovering about 1.5 feet off the side of this little guy!

Back
Top Bottom