Morrison Springs 11-13/11-14 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Josh Lambeth, Mikey Paul, Trey Jernigan, Sharky, and I went to Morrison Spring Saturday. The water was higher than normal due to the rain caused by the cold front that took place a few days previous to our dive, but the conditions were still pretty good. We enjoyed 20-30' visibility and saw quite a few species of marine life which occur normally at this site. Bream of all sizes, Bass, minnows, pike, carp, mullet, catfish, freshwater eels, slider turtles, snapping turtles, even a flounder made themselves be known on this trip! We did two dives, our first was pretty undisturbed and our second was cut short by the feeling of hunger, cold, and the ever present slackening conditions caused by new OW checkout students(can't blame em! but we'd rather dodge em!). I took some pictures during the first dive, atleast until the strobe batteries croaked.

Josh Timmons and I made the trip again Sunday. The water was even higher than Saturday, but we still enjoyed 15-25' of visibility during our first dive(we also saw a large gar - which is a first for me at that dive site!). The wind was kickin, making it one cold SI(low-mid 50ºs) between dives in already cold water(68ºF). We explored the cavern and Josh took control of the camera taking quite a few pictures. After our first dive which lasted almost an hour we took a SI in which time we saw atleast a dozen or more car-fulls of people drive up to the dive site. The SI was cut short and we went back into the water before the newer students could cloud up the water too much. While it was a shorter dive, we had alotta fun!

You can find pictures of the both dives this weekend at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album36 Enjoy!

Thanks for the report. I'll have to time things right with the water level and days off. My gills are drying out!!!!!!!!!!!

cardzard:
I love the Morrison statues pics. They look like some of scubadilla's dive buddys.

They could be! :D Free diving caverners!

SeaYoda:
Thanks for the report. I'll have to time things right with the water level and days off. My gills are drying out!!!!!!!!!!!

No doubt, I miss your UW pictures.

MOrrison sure is gettin dove this year. Ive been in it 10 times already!

8 Dives on it since October :) I wish I had gone to check it out before then - I like the spot and its not entirely too far from me.

I remember Morrison being my first "open water" check out a year ago. Compared to a pool I thought visibility sucked at 20-30 feet but having been diving up in NY since March with visibility a lot worse than that, on a good day, I would like to dive it again.

Well next time you're in the area, shoot me a PM. Get onsite around 8AM when the water level is normal and you'll be treated to visibilities as good as 120'+. 20-30' vis is about right after OW students kick up the bottom or when the waters are high after alot of rain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom