Saving YOUR photos???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First, this is a sincere question, if I am way out of bounds, sorry right off. My question is for all of you that post these spectacular pictures. If they are not copyrighted, can I save them to my hard drive for me to look at, dream about and aspire to? These would NOT be shared and are not for any purpose other than to inspire me. I do NOT want to be crossing any lines, and thank you all for sharing your talents here.

Oh, to those in the canon corner that helped me out with my first photo experience.... I will get back to you and maybe share some, but let me tell you, it was disheartening at best!!!! :( So I appreciate your photos all the more. :) Thanks so much!

Personally, I'm flattered when someone likes one of my photos enough to want to see it over and over!

I do appreciate being asked.

I always figured that if someone wants to keep their pictures so private that no one else could ever save them, they shouldn't post 'em here. So if you like any of my pics enough to want to pollute your hard drive with them, I'd be flattered as well.

AmyJ:
If they are not copyrighted, can I save them to my hard drive for me to look at, dream about and aspire to?

According to copyright laws in the US and most EU countries, ALL photos are copyrighted the second the photographer snaps the shutter. I would assume that posting on a web site implies permission to download to a local computer for viewing since that's how web browsers work. But any other use such as printing would technically require the photographer's permission.

I also appreciate you asking first.

If you find any of mine you like, knock yourself out... :D

I post my photo's to share, and at the JPG resolution they are posted at nobody can print anything of value anyway. Same with any photo posted on the web. The resolution just isn't enough to even print a 4X6 ! Enjoy your webshots.

Saving a digital copy to your hard drive falls under "fair use" in copyright law. As other people have stated the size and resolution of most pictures on the web are not suitable for prints. If, however, you want to make a print, you can contact the owner for a higher resolution file copy and permission to do so.

Do not, however, copy and then post anyone else's image on a webpage without persmission or attribution! Linking to a file's location using the URL is generally acceptable, but you should still give credit to the photographer.

Having said that, you may save and view any of my pictures. If you ever see one that you would like a print of, I will send a high res file to you.

Thanks for asking.

DSAO,
Jim (jlyle)

Amy, as one of the folks who has been taken advantage of in the past, I truly appreciate your asking permission. Most don't (ask permission, that is).

You may download and use any photos I post in the gallery. However, since I've learned the hard way that public posting can lead to loss, and abuse, of my work, you'll find nothing there.

Nor will you for others who make their living from their photos, and the rights to them. I am trying out a product that may change this, Digimarc Pro.

Thanks again for asking, Amy. You're a better person than most!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom