Bringing Fish to the Boat...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have gone on a few shallow (30') boat dives for fish and we use a mesh net bag to keep our fish (Hog Snapper). We came across a Nurse Shark that was in the reef "sleeping", so no trouble from him. What do you all use to bring your catch to the top and prevent you and your catch from being a snack for a Baracuda or Shark? Leave bag or stringer on the bottom and bring it up with a line after you are on the surface?

I keep my stringer clipped to me but I don't hunt in a area known to have dangerous sharks.

I have heard of other people that use a 10ft leash on there stringer to keep it away from them but it could drag and get caught on the reef.

My instructor was telling me that he has a string and line with a float attached to it that floats the fish about 15 feet above him. Sounds pretty safe.

scubapro5:
I keep my stringer clipped to me but I don't hunt in a area known to have dangerous sharks.

I have heard of other people that use a 10ft leash on there stringer to keep it away from them but it could drag and get caught on the reef.

I use a stringer and attach it to my BC. I've really not had any problems with sharks - see them rarely in FL when I'm diving and cudas, though eyeing my catch - have left it alone. I think that carrying the fish close to you somewhat discourages them from taking your fish - they have to deal with you (who likely is as big as them) to get the food, rather than just "stealing" if from the bottom or as it floats away from the diver. There are some dive sites where territorial fish (jewfish) or sharks tend to hang out (ex. specific wreck) where I don't bother to spear anything because they have been known to steal fish from divers.

Funny how you just brought up this topic. We just covered it at our Melbourne Beach Hunt Club meeting last week. A commercial guy said he used a catch bag that had no mesh so was not see-through and never had any problems - he thought sight of the fish was a factor in their predatory behavior. You'll get tons of opinions on this topic though - there's lots of different options.

The top three methods by experienced shooters are: (Not in any order)

1. Stringer, attached by clip to BC.

2. Stringer, held in hand.

3. Tube float each fish to the surface. (Requires boat following, common drift dive practice.)

Bad ideas:
Bag fish? Won't fit, slow & awkward, drag.
Tow on a line? As in bait? No thanks.
Stringer clipped to gun? Drag, pulled shot, awkward.

I'm a #2 man, unless with friends that practice #3. To me #1 is restrictive also, can't keep the stringer off your legs, reef, etc.

Chad

My husband's solution was always to give the stringer to me to carry....I let him get away with that one once or twice. Now that I spearfish too, I carry my stringer with a big clip on it in case I need to clip it to my BC. Never had a problem with sharks or barracudas...but a big hungry jewfish pursued me once and bumped into me a couple of times trying to get the fish. Had to poke him a few times to get him to leave us alone.

Last weekend I had a #200 or so Jewfish wrestle with me for a 12# Mutton snapper on my stringer.It was hard clipped to my hip D-ring.I "gently prodded" him between the eyes a few times and he stopped.I clip everything together when we splash but shift the stringer to my belt til I get the 1st fish then it is #2 according to Chad.East side of Fla the snapper and grouper are often over 15# and just one of them is enough to dissuade hanging it on your BC or Gun.Much less cobia,jacks etc..
Hanging floating chum bag above you here would end up in a serious "Nantucket Sleigh Ride"at some point.I will occasionally use my lobster bag to hold fish when I'm really focussing on bugs.It's big enough for 50# of bugs or fish unless it's 1 fish.

Thanks for all the great info. I should have known that it would bring up such differences but that is GOOD! It shows how diversified our diving preferences are. As I have said before I am new to spearfishing but I am getting the gear now that the H2O is getting to cold for my 3mm. I have a ScubaPro 70 Pneumatic gun and although the bag worked for me I think that I am going to give the stringer a shot.
I usually Dive off Pompano Beach in Florida, Sometimes from the Beach and others from a family members boat. :)
Again thanks for all the great tips and although there were many most seemed to stay within a few logical choices.

flyinghuntster:
I usually Dive off Pompano Beach in Florida, Sometimes from the Beach and others from a family members boat. :)

fh,

Just thought I'd let you know, Pompano is where the #3 technique was first developed, due to some pesky bull shark problems.

Chad

Crud, I have been swimming there for 20 years and diving off and on for the past 15 years since I joined the military, and all I have ever seen were Nurse sharks. :)

Back
Top Bottom