Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just curious, how come GUE doesn't offer a basic certification class for brand new Scuba Divers? Is that something for the future? Instead of introducing people to Scuba via PADI for example, why not start people from scratch with a BP/W, Jets, Long hose and all the goods? Like a pre DIR F class. The reason I ask is because a good friend of mine is getting into SCUBA and I was stuck when he asked how to get started. I know the DIR F book says you need a basic certification but doesn't that seem like a contradiction sorta?

Just curious and I thought it would make a good discussion.

There have been persistent rumors for a couple of years that they're working on it. I suppose it's just a matter of time. Meanwhile your friend will have to start with another cert.

R..

what cert do you have to have to do the DIR-F class ???????

Dive Safe

Mark s

JJ is planning to introduce an OW class next year. There has been a big discussion about it on the Quest list. No specific details just that they plan to introduce it next year.

flounderboy:
what cert do you have to have to do the DIR-F class ???????

Dive Safe

Mark s

All of the requirements are listed on the GUE website DIR Fundamentals

Page xii in the Fundamentals book, paragraph 2:

"Note, however, that this book was not designed to teach uncertified divers how to dive. While new or uncetified divers are encouraged to read this book as a prelude to their own training, this book was not designed as a substitute to proper instruction; it's intended audience is certified divers with a basic understanding of SCUBA diving."

It's the "proper instruction" part that I intended to discuss.

Not to make people sick with another Martial Arts reference but it's my only personal anaolgy for teaching. I'm an instructor in very broad Martial Arts organization and the foundation art is Tae Kwon Do. To me, the above quote would seem like some guy walking in off the street and having him or her directed to another school to learn basic stuff and then when they get to me I would say "OK, forget almost everything you learned, now here's the right way" Do you follow?

The book is intended to supplement, not replace, a DIR-F class taught by a suitable instructor. That's it. The "training" and "instruction" the book refers to are post-OW DIR-F instruction and training, not OW training.

It does not teach one how to dive, nor does a DIR-F course. That's what OW classes are for, and GUE will be introducing an OW class sometime in the future, perhaps in only a few months.

jonnythan:
It does not teach one how to dive, nor does a DIR-F course. That's what OW classes are for, and GUE will be introducing an OW class sometime in the future, perhaps in only a few months.

Very cool! Now that's what I was asking.

After rereading your post, I want to add this: GUE did not start out intending to teach non-divers how to dive. GUE was started to teach divers how to properly tech dive.. and as they came to realize that current OW instruction was a serious impediment to this goal, they are now introducing OW classes to circumvent the problem entirely. This is my opinion of course.

FWIW, GUE instructors are all OW instructors and some of them still teach OW classes. I believe at least some of the ones who do teach it in a bp/long hose, etc, with an emphasis on proper finning, trim, buoyancy, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom