Alexander Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey ya'll, I have a quick question. How is the diving at Alexander Springs? I am thinking of going out there and doing some diving the Sat after Thanksgiving and would like a little heads up on what to expect.

Thanks
Paul

Shallow, bit of flow, its an open basin with a boil in the middle (max 25ft or so). The boil kicks up a lot of sand that gets stuck in/on everything. Its $5 to get in, you can solo dive there. Occasionally there are classes around too, but its pretty quiet from here on till late spring. 72F like the other springs. You can practice stuff there in relative safety, there are some nooks to explore, but its hard to spend more than 30 mins looking at everything - thats why i practice stuff there. There is a small "cave" to the side, it goes in about 6ft and T's about 5-6ft either side (easily enough room to turn around in) - its more a pop your head inside kind of thing. You can drift the shallows a bit and see all the fish, turtles and 1 gator hiding in there (its about 4ft in the shallows). I have spent a few hours there, you can stay quite a while on one tank!

It's a beautiful springs and a must dive if you can. I take my students there all the time. It's truly an amzing (though shallow) spring.

NetDoc:
It's a beautiful springs and a must dive if you can. I take my students there all the time. It's truly an amzing (though shallow) spring.
Was i supposed to write my description in a more DM style manner???? :wink:

Cool thanks ya'll. Not too sure about running into a 4ft gator, thinking it could be worst then that 5ft barracuda I almost swam into on the Groove.

Paul

Practice never hurts Simon! :D

The gator is not four foot... the depth is. They patrol that weed line constantly and pull out all gators over a foot long. You are in more danger from the alligator snapping turtle that lives waaaaaaaayyyyyyy back on the right. He is a MONSTER and I am always surprised that they have not pulled him out. :wink:

NetDoc:
Practice never hurts Simon! :D

The gator is not four foot... the depth is. They patrol that weed line constantly and pull out all gators over a foot long. You are in more danger from the alligator snapping turtle that lives waaaaaaaayyyyyyy back on the right. He is a MONSTER and I am always surprised that they have not pulled him out. :wink:

hmmmmm, i could lose a pinky toe to that. ok, i'll give him plenty of room.

The turtles can be pretty interesting, when they decide to come out. Gators even more so (I could tell you a story but everyone who knows me would start to groan). On one occasion I saw an eel while freediveing there. About 2-3 months ago I saw a big blue crab hiding under a ledge near the main boil, though I haven't seen him since.

The best diving will be early in the morning before anyone else gets in. The visibility is absolutely incredible, & you just might get a peek at some of the rarer critters before they get scared off.

We dove it 2 weeks ago, not too bad. Due to the depth, we were able to stay down for awhile. It is a nice park, we brought a grill and cooked out during the surface interval. It did start to cool off just prior to closing, but overall an enjoyable day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom