My new Digital paperweight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There are two types of underwater cameras

Type 1 - Those that WILL flood.

Type 2 - Those that ARE flooded.

My Fuji S2 and a 12-24mm lens just became a major Type 2

Why did it flood? I think it had something to do with mass amounts of sea water on the wrong side of the O-rings. Actually, it had to have flooded via the main back O-ring as that was the only seal that I had broken after the previous days dives. I did my normal check on the descent and immediately saw what was happening at about 15 ft. I turned the housing so that the port would catch the water and I bolted to the surface ( first dive, no nitrogen )

user error!

it is insured but now I had to scramble to get a replacement before I go to Cal on the 25th.

The housing is in a billion pieces since I have to completely overhaul it to prevent internal corrosion.

For now, back to film while I wait, just gunna grab another system and dive away the blues :wink:

No, no, no...not the "F" word. I had a dream last night about fl**ding my housing; luckily it was only a dream.

I look forward to meeting you at the Oly Users' group next month.

Jim (jlyle)

Sorry to hear that. You can still get the S2?

Nine years ago I did some shark dives in the Bahamas. On the first day I wore a chainmail suit so I could get close to the sharks. I was shooting a Nik V with a 20mm lens. The sharks kept biting at the strobe and I got some great photos. The next day I did a more relaxed dive, photographing sharks from a little further away (maybe a meter). I knew I had a lot of keepers and finished the dive feeling so happy with myself. When it came time to rewind the film it wouldn't move. That repair cost $350 but at least the lens wasn't flooded!

DesertEagle:
Sorry to hear that. You can still get the S2?

Took a LOT of telephone work but I found one. I will have to go a day or two early inorder to get it.

I look forward to meeting you at the Oly Users' group next month.

Jim (jlyle)[/QUOTE]

Yea, this will be quite cool. I guess I better start thinking about what I am going to talk about.

how about how to flush saltwater out of a digital SLR?

today may just pull out my old Nikonos III, a camera that I can flood, wash, dry and use again!

Hey, Guess what! Yesterday I checked the flash card to see if it was toast! well it locked up my computer! Well I decided to try it again this morning after 18 hours of dry time.

IT WORKS!! I even have the few surface shot I took minuits before I did the dive!

the Smart media I had in the camera ( the S2 has two slots ) was a black mess. Got to say something about compact flash

one more note

I tossed the camera on the deck of the boat yanked the back and port off to drain the water. I then jumped back in and proceeded to do the dive! of course I ran into five, count them, FIVE turtles in a very small area. some swam within like TWO feet of me. I have never seen more than 2 turtles at one time here on Guam!

Now that really SUCKED!!!

Thanks Lisa

Oh yea, I may be going to Kauai sometime in January. If so I hope I can hook up with ya during the layover in Oahu

56.gif

Damn dude, I hope my vist to Guam didn't jinx your camera! Sorry to hear about the flood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom