AF area mode setting on D70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zebramussel

Reaction score
Im a little confused about which AF area mode setting I should be using with my D70 using a Nikon 60mm micro lens. I know each has its specific advantage, but it seems to me the ability to change settings underwater in a hurry is very difficult. What do you usually use as your default settings, Single, Dynamic or Close focus? Also....which do you find more useful..AF-S or AF-C? I really would appreciate any input you might be able to give to at least get me pointed in the right direction.....Thanks alot!

I allways used AF-C (continuous), until I started using a D70 on which I find AF-S(single) with the audible sounder turned on to be much better.

Changing settings UW depends on your housing - I will turn to "manual focus" quite often BUT not with a 60 mm - the lens is fast enough in its focusing capabilities to handle 99.9% of all situations.

whitehead:
I allways used AF-C (continuous), until I started using a D70 on which I find AF-S(single) with the audible sounder turned on to be much better.

Changing settings UW depends on your housing - I will turn to "manual focus" quite often BUT not with a 60 mm - the lens is fast enough in its focusing capabilities to handle 99.9% of all situations.
Thanks for the response. What area AF area mode do you generally find most useful,Single,Dynamic,or Close Focus? I realize the settings are situation specific, but what do you tend to use most often. Thanks in advance!

Single area is what I use most because you will get better control of the area of focus and depth of field that you want. With single area, you can move your center of focus around to 5 spots on the field so you don't get stuck with the center only composition. Then if you wish, you can play with narrow or wide depth of field to get only parts of the whole of the subject in focus. Close focus is not very useful in my opinion since the closest item may not be your primary interest. Dynamic focus will try to get as much as possible into focus so you won't get as much control over what you want in or out of focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom