Holiday vegetable side dishes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help! Once again, I am roasting the turkey at home, and I am looking for suggestions. On the menu already: turkey, gravy, dressing, brandied cranberries, garlic mashed potatoes...but I need at least one other vegetable side dish. Any suggestions?

The guests who have their origins on two other continents have ruled out anything involving the sweet potato and/or pumpkins and that green bean casserole with the onions. I have purchased an apple pie, but the veggie thing is still up in the air. All ideas will be appreciated.

I make broccoli with cheese sauce. It's very decadent and very popular!
Melt velveeta with some milk and garlic. You can add butter if you really want to go overboard. You should add enough milk so it's the consistency of um, shampoo.

Pour over steamed broccoli.

Bake a butternut squash or two in the oven, sliced in two, face down on aluminum foil, ~350, ~45 minutes or til its soft. Scoop out the seeds, then spoon the squash into a serving dish. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top - I go heavy, but then I like cinnamon! Then sprinkle brown sugar over the cinnamon, just crumble with your fingers, maybe a tablespoon or three. Add a dollop of the country crock spread. Stir it all up. If you're into appearance, sprinkle a tiny bit more of the cinnamon over the top just before serving. Viola! Kick-*** squash!

Well, my favorite is homemade creamed corn, but with the potatoes, gravy and cranberries, that gets to be a lot of carbs. You could always just roast some veggies - take onion, red bell pepper (I don't like the green - too bitter, but that would work as well), green beans, brussel sprouts, cherry tomatoes, carrot coins, etc... Really whatever veggies you like, but the onion and red pepper usually are musts. Anyway, cut them all into pieces slightly larger than bite sized. Put on a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, garlic salt, rosemary, and whatever other seasonings you like. Bake at 350 until soft (different veggies cook at different speeds, so it's sometimes easier to cook them on separate trays and then mix together when done). Sprinkle with parmasean cheese and serve. It's a lot of work to cut everything and takes a lot of oven space, but tastes delicious! It's also great to make the veggies and serve them over bow-tie pasta.

Can you share you brandied cranberries recipe? That sounds yummy too. Good luck with your meal - let us know what you decide on!

The broccoli would be good for color, and I like the squash idea for myself, but I may have to run that by the finicky guests. Some roast veggies are already part of the feast...they go in with/under the turkey and are put through the food processor to thicken the gravy. I will have to look up the brandied cranberries and get back to you on that, S. I think it's just brandy, cranberries, and sugar baked, but I don't remember how much of what.

We're doing a corn pudding with roasted red peppers....also fresh green beans, just steamed with a little dill and butter are a favorite for us. Creamed sliced cucumbers with thinly sliced vidalia onions is another holiday staple at our house.

Big ol' pan o' peas. If they don't like peas there's sumptin' wrong wif 'em.

Another holiday favorite is more of a dessert/fruit than veggie, but it's good so I'm going to share. Take a can of pineapple chunks in their own juice (no sugar added). Then, take a box or bag or however they come of red hot candies. Stir them up together and let them sit for a few hours. The pineapple marinates in the red hots and gets a cinnamon flavor to them - they're yummy!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but - brussel sprouts! My bro-in-law makes them by cutting them in half but stopping at the core/stem, then he boils them (not too long!), drains them, and mixes in white semi-hard cheese (parmesan or the like) and lots of butter.

I refused to eat them at first, remembering what they tasted like at school in England, but now I go back for seconds :D

Carrots boiled dry with butter and brown sugar in the water are yummers too...

Here in Vermont a favorite is boiled carrots with butter and maple syrup mixed through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom