snuff dipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicotine is as addictive as any drug out there. The addicted brain will try just about any trick in the book to make you think you should have another dip. It knows you have made up your mind to resist any desire for tobacco, so it'll change the rules away from "desire" and couch it in terms of "right & wrong." It'll conjure up thoughts like "If you don't have a dip you're bad; you're evil. The right thing, the good thing, the correct thing to do is have a dip now. It's good and good for you."
Realizing these thoughts will come, and that they will be real and convincing, and planning to reject them in advance, to accept being a "bad boy" and not having that dip will go a long way towards kicking the habit. The cravings will be intense and the rationalizations remarkable. When you look back on the experience with years of abstinence behind you you'll laugh at their ridiculous premise - but when you're going through it it will be real and palpable and reasonable. Be ready for it.
Say NO!
Rick
PS Don't waste your time talking to those who've never been hooked on tobacco. They mean well and they think they know what they're talking about, but they do not.

Rick Murchison:
Nicotine is as addictive as any drug out there. The addicted brain will try just about any trick in the book to make you think you should have another dip. It knows you have made up your mind to resist any desire for tobacco, so it'll change the rules away from "desire" and couch it in terms of "right & wrong." It'll conjure up thoughts like "If you don't have a dip you're bad; you're evil. The right thing, the good thing, the correct thing to do is have a dip now. It's good and good for you."
Realizing these thoughts will come, and that they will be real and convincing, and planning to reject them in advance, to accept being a "bad boy" and not having that dip will go a long way towards kicking the habit. The cravings will be intense and the rationalizations remarkable. When you look back on the experience with years of abstinence behind you you'll laugh at their ridiculous premise - but when you're going through it it will be real and palpable and reasonable. Be ready for it.
Say NO!
Rick
PS Don't waste your time talking to those who've never been hooked on tobacco. They mean well and they think they know what they're talking about, but they do not.
Rick, this is simply the best things I have ever seen written about quiting tobacco. I recently tried again to quit smoking. No luck. :( I'll try again.

This time I had no cravings, just a massive headache that would not go away. My head literally felt like it was going to burst from the pressure being built up. First smoke and the headache went away.

Nicotine is an amazingly addictive drug.

Hey Skeet, I agree with Rick. I am 45 years old, and I chewed twist toabaco from the time I was 13 grow'n up on the farm until three years ago, (October 27th, 2001 @ 1731 hrs, but who's counting) I used to chew from the time I got up in the morning until I went to bed at night. If I woke up in the midle of the night, it was common to have a chew before going back to sleep. And yes, I chewed while diving. For some funny reason, no one wanted to practice buddy breathing??????? Go figure.

When I decieded to quit, it was because I want to see my kids grow up. I did not quit at the urging of my spouce, (who actually threatened me with divorce over it at one time). Over the years when I tried to quit, I relied on things like lifesaver candy or nicorette gum. Those were crutches because I didn't really want to quit for me. When I made up my mind to quit for my own reasons (kids) it was by far the toughest thing I ever did and while I have remained nicotine free since then, I will still wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, having dreampt that I started chewing again. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but that craving is still there and I reckon it allways will be.

So while all I can offer you are words of encouragement, know that it can be done but it has to be done because you want to not because someone else wants you to.

Good luck and let us know about your progress..............

Don't try quitting tomorrow! Chose a date that gives you time to make the commitment to quitting. Get your family & friends involved. Once you have set the date, tell everyone you know that you will be tobacco free from that date on. If you have time, tell the people you see but don't know. THEN MAKE IT TRUE.

Try keeping yourself real busy in physical activities. Diving, martial arts, hiking, ect. Focus on being the best at what ever you wnat to be. And think about the cost to your health and wallet. I chewed, dipped, smoked cigarettes/cigars/and a pipe. Stopping snuff was the hardest. Set you mind to it and you'll do fine.

skeet:
anyone have personal quitting stories,strategies,methods,that could break me of the habbit?

It is a long hard battle to such a thing, with support and understanding you will succeed in your endeavors. Be wary of mood swings, your spouse/significant other should be advised of this. Snuff is more addicting than smoking and is twice as hard to quit sometimes, pharmaceutical intervention(talk to your physcian) is sometimes used to help quit.

I was dipping 2 to 2.5 cans a day at the last. I saw all the gruesome pictures too but made no impact on me. I finally made up my mind to quit and did. One of the hardest things I have ever done. Just make up your mind set a goal to quit and achieve your goal. The craving will ease up but I believe that they will never fully go away. Good luck and congrads on your decision to stop. A can of skoal will buy an air fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom