Sea Urchins, New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartinDick

Registered
Reaction score
We are starting to get sea urchins in New Jersey. I took some home to eat, but they were empty, except for what I think is called Aristotle's lantern. Is there a certain time of year to harvest? What time of year? Are these the "wrong" species?

I have been on a few Dives in the Persian Gulf and there were Long spine Sea Urchins EVERY were and we would cut a few of them up and let the fish eat what little there inside of them. There was probably enough stuff inside that would fit on a teaspoon and that was it.
I guess it is worth trying? You have heard that is tastes good?

Come to lovely Sebastian Inlet FL and take some of ours! They are everywhere :11: and we sure could do without a few - LOL! Spines in the hand are not fun....and diving in current surge with them all over the ledges makes lobstering not nearly as fun as it should be :)

The commercial urchin fishery in the NE Atlantic is for the green urchin, Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis.

On the west coast reds and purples are harvested. Sorry, I don't know there real name. What you want to eat is the gonads/roe, not the whole thing. I have friends that dove them for a living.... MAy have been the wrong time of the year?

Well that really isn't the kind I have seen, Almost all of the ones I see are black, Not Green,Red or Purple...... :-( Wouldn't that be an item to thin out around our reefs AND get paid to do so as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom