Keys at Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a rough idea on what water temp,
visibility, etc. may be around Christmas time in the Keys?
Would a 3mm suit be enough? Thanks.

newbie-in-fl:

Yes a 3mm suit will be plenty good enough. Water temp should be around
mid 70's I would guess. Vis vary a lot from one day to another.
40 - 60 is the norm.

newbie-in-fl:
Just depends on the diver. I did 8 dives off of Key Largo last weekend in a 5 mil and was glad I didn't use the 3 mil - with temps at 100-130 feet running 76-8F on a computer that has been calibrated to a dependable thermometer. {Thermometers on comoputers are often very inaccurate.} On of my dive duddies wore only a vest. :11:

The novice boat in our group stayed in shallower waters and enjoyed warmer temps, but some still were glad they wore 5 mils. All this varies so much with the diver, the depths, and the surface exposure as well. Take a 5 mil, just in case.

Oh, I'm talkling long jumpsuits. I would never wear a shorty. Use a 1 mil long even in 81F water with warm SIs.

dandydon:
Just depends on the diver.

A hood or beanie would help. :crafty: If you find you don't have enough protection after the first day, you can pickup a thicker suit or just a beanie at the big "Water World" dive store on Key Largo until 9pm most nights, closing some earlier on Sundays.

I'll be down there around New Year's. Sounds like a nice change from even the peak summer conditions up here.

I think I'll pass on the hood though. :)

Thinking i might be diving there the weekend before xmas - can post up on conditions from that weekend at that time. I will see what temps i am hitting in Ft Lauderdale and such before that to determine 3 or 5mm suit. However i am intending to do 7+ dives over that weekend, so i might need a little extra to keep my core up even if its only mid-70's.

I would definitely suggest a hood along with your 3mm suit. A beanie hood is sufficient. I dove in 71F water two weeks ago with an old 3mm (over 100 dives on it, so is nicely compressed), and a beanie hood and did two 45 min dives.

The keys are fun during the winter time, just don't forget to bring a parka for the boat ride and for your SI.

newbie-in-fl:

I run a scuba charter boat in the Keys & have done so for several years.

I see many divers coming here in the winter thinking a 3 mil suit will be just fine. I see those same divers shivering & cold after dive #2 and on the way back to the dock.

While the water temps will likely be low-mid 70's - I have experienced water temps in the mid 60's that time of year.

The boat trip back to the dock is where most people are cold. Particularly on a cloudy day with 10-15 knots of wind.

Prepare yourself by bringing warm clothes to put on after the dives and during the boat trip back to shore. Sweatshirts and long pants and a jacket may sound crazy....but you will be glad you have it.

If you come out on my boat and I am diving you will see me with a dry suit on for the diving & the trip back to the dock.

Many laugh at me as I am donning the suit for dive #1 -- usually by the end of dive #2 these same folks ask me where they can get a drysuit!!!

:11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom