would anyone recommend the sherwood wisdom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have/had a wisdom. i love does everything i ask from it.. i like it so much i gave it to my mom so she could have a good computer with all the bells and wills to go along with here dive tables to help keep here safe.. i trust it with my mom and that trust :)

the only thing i wish it had was a more detail print outs but other then that i give it full marks...

I have had three so far. The first (serial number in the 800 range) failed after about 75 dives, the second (serial number in the 3000 range) failed after about 150 dives, so I am expecting about 300 dives from the current one (serial number in the 6000 range)before it crashes as the reliability trend has been improving steadily.

The first computer experienced a failure of the computer portion as it shut itself off when it decided it was no longer sure of what it was doing. The second failure involved a 200-300 psi error in the spg portion of the computer and a week or so later a general failure of one of the buttons to function.

Sherwood's service has been exceptional and Sherwood replaced both failed computers immediately with no argument. In fact both were in the shop, on the spot exchanges. So after buying my first Wisdom 3 years ago, I still have a computer that is only 2 months old and has 22 months left on the warranty. It's really hard to argue with service and warranty support like that.

To be fair, the majority of the diving I have done with them has been at high altitude in very cold water (bottom temps in low to mid 40's) often on 90 degree days with a lot of rapid thermal change. Over the winter they see very cold air temps and water temps around 33-35 degrees when ice diving. A very high percentage of the dives have also been in the 100-150 ft range. And I do about 150 dives per year so they are getting used a lot and in harsher conditions than the average computer. In general we have had a MUCH higher failure rate with Wisdoms locally than the Sherwood average of 1.5%, so I suspect that something about the local conditions has something to do with it.

So, all in all I still recommend them, as the new ones seem to be much more reliable than the initial batch. They do have an excellent display, are easy to use, and in general are very capable computers.

I love mine, well I did. It flooded after exactly 200 dives (sn 00157). LDS sent it back to Sherwood about a month ago, said they'd replace for free. Haven't seen it yet, but hopeful I'll get it back soon. Intuitive, easy to use! Got a Dacor Darwin Air to use in the interim, seems to have a steep learning curve. Info is there, just got to figure out how to find it!

Back
Top Bottom