Freshwater diving/snorkeling in NW/Central FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

We're planning a family dive/snorkel trip to Crystal River in a couple of weeks, and I was looking for some spring/river sites that might be suitable for both diving and snorkeling. (We've done Crystal River, Rainbow River, Ginnie Springs in the past.)

Any suggestions for spring sites that would be interesting to dive without being too much for the three snorkelers in the group? (my wife will probably snorkel, as will my 14 year-old son and 11 year-old daughter.)

I was thinking about maybe Troy or Blue Springs, or maybe Silver River or Weeki Wachee. They really liked the Rainbow River drift, and I'd like to find another area with similar conditions.

Any suggestions would be most welcome...

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
I was thinking about maybe Troy or Blue Springs, or maybe Silver River or Weeki Wachee. They really liked the Rainbow River drift, and I'd like to find another area with similar conditions.
You've pretty much hit on some of the major ones there! Troy and others on the Suwannee might still be a bit nasty. Blue Springs (Orange City) is back to full strength (can swim/drift down to platform), but manatees might be there soon. I dont know about the other springs (Blue and another one) aroung Ginnie, i imagine the Santa Fe is also still a bit nasty too. Silver River i think you can snorkel around the head spring basin in the state park, but if you want to drift the river itself you might be best to get in touch with the canoe place just east of there and paddle upstream and drift down (i started a thread a year ago or so on that). As Krista said, several of us are planning on going to Crystal River to hit the various springs around Kings Bay on 12/11-12 and possibly Rainbow River as well. Weeki Wachee, i think you have to make arrangements to go with an LDS that has an agreement to allow you to snorkel/dive there - i could be wrong on that, but there are a few that have started to offer those kinds of trips. I believe dive4fun and madeline went with their respective dive clubs/LDS's, i know one near me offers those trips as do a few out of Crystal River. Would be good to see you again should you decide to come down in a couple of weeks and hang out with us at the DSW BBQ spectacular. :wink:

Hi Simon, Krista.

Thanks for the info. I just checked out the thread, and it looks as if we'll be in the same vicinity on the 11th. (I had already rented a boat from the Port Hotel Marina for the 11th before posting this thread.) We had sorta planned to do Saturday at Crystal River and then another snorkel/dive run on Sunday. I like Rainbow, but I was just trolling for some other options.

We'll have to get together after the Saturday dives for some nice, juicy Manatee kabobs! Great for the kiddies! Especially with my green sea turtle sauce.

I just hope none of them are feeling too aggressive. Especially after that incident last year where that bull manatee charged the dive boat. I'd have hated to see 2500 pounds coming at me with those huge tusks...

I was at Blue Springs yesterday there was a single Manatee there hanging out against the rocks above the spring. I also seen more fish life yesterday then I did on my 1st trip there.

sylvester:
I was at Blue Springs yesterday there was a single Manatee there hanging out against the rocks above the spring. I also seen more fish life yesterday then I did on my 1st trip there.
Less beer swilling redneck, student and tourist traffic these days, so the fish feel they can come out to play again. I enjoyed the springs last fall/winter/spring - i hope to even more so this year!! Also now with the water down a bit, and allowing you to drift the river you can spend more time looking behind/between the fallen trees and such to see what life is hiding. Have to go there again soon, maybe with Foo's trip? :wink:

i did see a couple manatees in what apperared to be a "mating" process a few days ago. stayed away from them. they made lots of wake on the top of the water! would definately not want one to mistake me for their girlfriend :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom