MX10 - Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got a used MX10 with YS40a strobe and close-up lens. Unfortunately I did not get the manuals. I was able to get some information from the SEA&SEA website but I still have the following questions:

1. I am going diving over thanksgiving. I expect ~50-80 ft visibility and will be ~80 feet down. I am planning to take pictures in the range of 2ft to 10+ft. What speed film do I used 100 or 400? It should be a bright day. I understand 100 is better for color but I may need 400 since light maybe an issue. I would like to take a few pics of my fellow divers.

2. With the close-up lens do I need to adjust the f-setting to 22 to take close-up (~16 inch away) pics. Or can I leave the camera at the 4.5 (for 100 film) or 8 (for 400 film)?

3. With the close-up lens – Can I leave the close-up lens on and just adjust the f-setting to take photos of stuff that is >10ft away or do I have to remove the lens? (again to take pics of my fellow divers.)

Thanks

Hi Nassua.

Welcome to the board. There has been a lot posted about the MX-10 on this board over the last few years. I would suggest you try a word search on MX-10, Sea and Sea and see what pops up, I would bet a lot of your questions will be answered. There is also a great book on the Sea& Sea line of cameras that is a must have. As I am not at home now I don't have the exact name but it's something like "The Complete Guide to Sea and Sea". I know for sure I, as well as a couple of others have posted the name of it on the board. If you need the info before you can find a copy of the book, I can pull out my copy and post some of the more useful info

To answer your questions a little better.
1. Use 100 speed, I tried several speeds and found it to be the best.

2 I have totally forgotten what I use to use, this is where the book I mentioned is great.

3 It depends, if I remember correctly, the close up lens is good somewhere in the 1 to 8 feet range, so for close ups you can use it but for the most part other divers are best photographed without it. You can (and actually should) remove and replace it underwater. I highly suggest you tie a string to it and attach the string to the camera. That way you are less likely to drop it (voice of experience).

Thanks Herman,

I'll try 100 film

I did search the message board and did not see answers to those questions.

I planned to buy the book - I don't think I will get it in time for my dive on Friday though.

Thanks for the "string" tip. I will definately do that.

Nassua

I was close, the name of the book is "The New Guide to Sea and Sea". I only had a chance to find it this morning.
I will change my mind on the film speed. You may want to give 400 a try, at least until you get some experience. It will allow you to use higher Fstops which will give you a good bit more depth of field. Getting subjects in focus will be easier.

I was off on the close up lens as well, the focal range at F22 was 1.6 to 3.5 feet.
I did not have a lot of time to review the book but if you need more I might have time tonight.

Nassua...one word of advise. you should pick up the fiber optic cable for this one...my hubby has one and if you don't have the cable you will be having alot of backscatter. He got the cable and now the pictures are much better.

herman:
I was close, the name of the book is "The New Guide to Sea and Sea". I only had a chance to find it this morning.
I will change my mind on the film speed. You may want to give 400 a try, at least until you get some experience. It will allow you to use higher Fstops which will give you a good bit more depth of field. Getting subjects in focus will be easier.

I was off on the close up lens as well, the focal range at F22 was 1.6 to 3.5 feet.
I did not have a lot of time to review the book but if you need more I might have time tonight.

Thanks Again Herman - I appreciate the help!

If I understand correctly - if I want to take pics > 3.5 feet I need to take the lens off? And then adjust my f-setting.

Scuba65:
Nassua...one word of advise. you should pick up the fiber optic cable for this one...my hubby has one and if you don't have the cable you will be having alot of backscatter. He got the cable and now the pictures are much better.

Thanks for the advice.

Since I am a newbie to uw photography - I want to experiment alittle before I spend anymore money. Typically the water clarity I dive in is rather good (>50-80ft) therefore I am not sure I need one.

My plan is to try this system out. If I have a need to upgrade my pics/system or outgrow this one, I will likely spend money and buy a more advance system (maybe digital) and give this one to my daughter.

Thanks Again and wish me luck!

Yes, the close up lens needs to come off if you want something farther than 3+ feet away (the reason I keep it tied to the camera). Remember to remove the lens UNDER water and clear off any air bubbles that might be on it before taking any pictures. The YS-40 will fire in any F-stop so DO NOT use either of the 2 with the lightening bolt on them. If you do, the internal flash will also fire causing over exposure and a lot more back scatter. Back scatter is small light squares in the picture, kind of looks like it's snowing square snowflakes. These are reflections off particals in the water. There is not much you can do about them with the YS-40 except remote it like suggested above. The MX 10 is quite capable of some very good photographs. I would recommend you getting the Macro lens for it. Finally, remember the most important rule in UW photography....get close, get closer and when you think you are too close, you are about right. Have fun and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom