Don't Buy Fantasea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my Fantasea case 8/4/04 for my trip on 8/5/04. Flooded the first time out (but not on a test run in the sink). Took a while to get it registered (the webpage they reference on their printed materials didn't work after repeated tries).

They didn't ever answer their phone. They don't return messages. Finally I found the paperwork and sent it in. Waited a couple of weeks then shipped the camera to the insurance company. Received my replacement camera fairly quickly (a few weeks). I sent an email to the Fantasea contact that the insurance company gave me. I received a quick response, see below, on 10/22/04.

Mark,

There is nothing else you need to do. I will send you the CP-3N housing for your Coolpix 2200. We are currently out of inventory on this item, so it may take about two or so weeks. Please let me know if this is OK or if you have any dive travel planned.

Sincerely,
Frank Fennell
Fantasea Photo USA

I replied that was fine.

I sent an email to Frank on 11/12:

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up and check the status of this. I am doing a dive next weekend (11/20) and would really like to take some photos …

Thanks,

Mark

He hasn’t replied to my email.

I've tried to call him several times, he never answers his phone.

I sent a PM to the Fantasea guy on the boards and no response. He hasn’t been online since 11/13.

So, I got it on 8/5, it is 11/19 and I still can't take underwater photos.

Mark

Sorry to hear about your problem... it may me think... I have a CP4 and so far knock on wood I had no problems with it. Keep us posted, I'm curious how they'll fix yours.
I remember about a similar post on the board when the Fantasea guys said they cannot buy a NIkon 4300 camera because the model was disc.... they were suggesting a lower model. The guy obvious didn't agree and after some time (?) they replaced the housing and the flooded camera.
Good luck,

StingRob

My camera is discontinued. The insurance company very quickly sent me a new camera (the replacement model to mine). No problem there.

Frank is terrible about returning calls and Emails. We called several times to try to figure out how to go about returning it, and he never returned the calls.

He did finally reply to a second email, saying it was going to be a couple more weeks. They have the case in the stores. Just order me one retail and send it to me! I had a couple of dives over the last couple of days and wanted to take some photos.

Oh well. I believe that it will come, but their communication is terrible.

Mark

Well, in Asia and I think the UK, there appears to be less issues with Fantasea. So far, they (Howard in this case) has been very prompt with replies and insurance (though I have not had the need for it yet *cross fingers*).

Mark
This is Howard, Franks partner who runs the Fantasea International operations.
I am very sorry that your calls have not been answered and if you or anyone else on this board are having communications problems with our USA office then I ask you to write to me directly and I will personally look after whatever problem you may be experiencing. I may not be able to solve any and all problems but I will do my best and respond to you quickly and honestly.

Howard@fantasea.com

mweitz:
Got my Fantasea case 8/4/04 for my trip on 8/5/04. Flooded the first time out (but not on a test run in the sink). Took a while to get it registered (the webpage they reference on their printed materials didn't work after repeated tries).

They didn't ever answer their phone. They don't return messages. Finally I found the paperwork and sent it in. Waited a couple of weeks then shipped the camera to the insurance company. Received my replacement camera fairly quickly (a few weeks). I sent an email to the Fantasea contact that the insurance company gave me. I received a quick response, see below, on 10/22/04.

Mark,

There is nothing else you need to do. I will send you the CP-3N housing for your Coolpix 2200. We are currently out of inventory on this item, so it may take about two or so weeks. Please let me know if this is OK or if you have any dive travel planned.

Sincerely,
Frank Fennell
Fantasea Photo USA

I replied that was fine.

I sent an email to Frank on 11/12:

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up and check the status of this. I am doing a dive next weekend (11/20) and would really like to take some photos …

Thanks,

Mark

He hasn’t replied to my email.

I've tried to call him several times, he never answers his phone.

I sent a PM to the Fantasea guy on the boards and no response. He hasn’t been online since 11/13.

So, I got it on 8/5, it is 11/19 and I still can't take underwater photos.

Mark

I did finally get my replacement early / mid December. Frank had it shipped from a dealer (which I asked him to do earlier).

The communication is terrible from your company in the US when there is a problem. The website for registering the product on your printed literature with the camera is non existent. At each "late" step in the way I had to contact Frank and he only replied when it suited him. As I said earlier my wife left him several messages in the beginning of the process and he never replied to any of them (to this day).

As far as you go, I PM'd you on 11/16/04 and you never replied to my PM... instead posting here to this thread a couple of weeks later.

Frankly, I'm so disgusted with the whole thing I haven't even used the new one.

Mark

HMan:
Mark
This is Howard, Franks partner who runs the Fantasea International operations.
I am very sorry that your calls have not been answered and if you or anyone else on this board are having communications problems with our USA office then I ask you to write to me directly and I will personally look after whatever problem you may be experiencing. I may not be able to solve any and all problems but I will do my best and respond to you quickly and honestly.

Howard@fantasea.com

Not to defend Fantasea, but I too just experienced a flooded housing on my second CP-4 Fantasea.........

BUT, Frank called me back within 2 days of leaving a voicemail stating my problems, and he spent 10-15 minutes on the phone, dirrected me over to the insurance firm who also gave me short and simple quick instructions on how to mail back the housing.

This is my second Fantasea housing, and for the price I think they're a pretty good housing. While talking to the insurance company, I asked if there are better brands other than Fantasea, and she said and I quote "all the consumer housings have problems about at the same level, there is not one stand-out company that has more repairs or claims than others".

The one thing she DID say though, was how Fantasea is one of the only housing manufacturers that INCLUDE a 1 year flood warrenty. Thats a pretty nice perk if you ask me. My first CP4 housing has even been down to 149 feet, which is far past the rated 130.........no problems with any leaks that deep either.

My new flooded housing was on only its 3rd dive.........first 2 were dry and fine. A bit of plastic burr from the molding process looks like the cause of the leak. I'll be sure to let people know the outcome of my warrenty coverage issues.

I have purchased the underwater case as well. The second time out I saw the case filling with water. The first time was in a pool as a test run. DO NOT PURCHASE FANTASEA cases.

Many emails to Frank Fernell and I got no help. I dug around and found some more email address Barbera is the international contact there. She is very helpful but she wanted me to send it to Isearal not worth the expense. I already sent my flooded camera to underwater photo tec. Still no response, the flood insurance is about as good as the leaky cases.

I have purchased the underwater case as well. The second time out I saw the case filling with water. The first time was in a pool as a test run. DO NOT PURCHASE FANTASEA cases.

Many emails to Frank Fernell and I got no help. I dug around and found some more email address Barbera is the international contact there. She is very helpful but she wanted me to send it to Isearal not worth the expense. I already sent my flooded camera to underwater photo tec. Still no response, the flood insurance is about as good as the leaky cases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom