Vacationing in Tampa Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrjones

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like my family is planning a vacation to Tampa Bay. Any suggestions in general on what to see/do and also diving specific? I'm the only diver in my family although my brother wants to get certed also.

BTW, what's the weather/water temp like in Tampa Bay in Dec?

The temps here range from very nice (80ish) to the occasional cold snap (40ish), but on average expect days in the low 80's to mid 70's. The nights tend to get into the 60-50 range. There is an amusement park here (Busch Gardens: Tampa) along with various museums, aquariums (Fl Aquarium: Tampa, Mote Marine Aquarium: Sarasota), and a excellent zoo (Lowery Park: Tampa). Plus there are more golf courses here then you can swing a golf club at.

As for diving, I would recommend a spring dive. The water is a constant 72 degrees. Most springs are within a 1-2 hour drive from Tampa. If your looking for a ocean dive, I would probably suggest an east coast dive. I don't think the water in the gulf hasn't cleared up much from all the hurricanes (20-30ft vis). Plus it is starting to get a little chilly out there (currently 74 degrees). Then again, your used to diving there in Cali, so these may be conditions your used to.

Just some ideas, let me know if you have any other questions.

Paul

Thanks! Yeah, our waters here now are 60ish... As for viz, my first 2 OW dives were out at the Los Coronados Islands in Mexico and the viz was 80+ and for the next 2 OW dives, we did shore dives where the viz was about 30 and I was told that was pretty good... still haven't gone diving enough to get a feel for what 'good' is.

mrjones:
Thanks! Yeah, our waters here now are 60ish... As for viz, my first 2 OW dives were out at the Los Coronados Islands in Mexico and the viz was 80+ and for the next 2 OW dives, we did shore dives where the viz was about 30 and I was told that was pretty good... still haven't gone diving enough to get a feel for what 'good' is.
30 ft is good for shore diving, particularly in SoCal, go to Catalina - very clear (but can be quite deep quickly). Given your current amount of experience i would suggest hitting the springs, going to West Palm Beach (3 hour drive east) or joining up with any shore dive trips that are mentioned around Venice or Bradenton on the trips and happenings, boat rides are kind of long out into the Gulf, but it is an option.

I would consider a Crystal River trip to snorkel with the manatees (about an hour or so north of Tampa). If you have never encountered these gentle creatures, it is definitely worth the trip!

I took my family to the area, and - forfeited diving for this trip. Did enjoy the snorkeling with Manatees, and that blew my whole crew away. December would be ideal, too.

Here's a link to my report: http://scubaboard.com/t65987-.html

But, I'll ask a Mod to move this to the right forum.

The water 60' plus is starting to clear. Winter time is my fav time to dive the Gulf. The vis is good when you get a calm day (sometimes hard to get) and the Grouper are in close. You can expect at least an hour boat ride though - but that's diving. Try to get a trip to the Army tanks out of Pinellas County.

Thanks for all the replies...
My brother is a non-diver but has been interested in getting into it. Is there any sort of opportunity for him to get into the water and see something? For example, when I was in Hawaii a few years ago, my first diving experience was a tandem experience with a DM and he basically did everything for me but breathe after a quick orientation. Knowing what I know now about diving, that probably isn't the best idea but I was hoping for a good and safe alternative to doing a full OW class since we probably won't have enough time.

I don't think there is anything like that here. Pretty much you have to be certifed to dive here.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom