Watch as a graduation present. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twestrope

New
Reaction score
My son is graduating next month with a degree in Marine Biology. He dives some but not extensive at this pont which could be because of lack of funds as a student. I am thinking of getting him a nice dive watch that he could wear as a watch but also in dives. I am not sure how much that he would use a computer at this point unless his diving habits change drastically.

I was thinking of a Citizen Aqualand Promaster or Duplex or Hyper Aqualand. Tring to keep it in the $300-$500 range. Any suggestions on any of the three mentioned or different directions to fous my research. Thanks.

Heck, you can get him a Suunto Mosquito for under $300. They're not very dressy but sure work well.
[inserting blatent plug]:
Heck, why not a Mosquito & one of those branded dive watches that have the classic Seiko movement, like a Poseidon or Viking. :wink:

I have a Citizen Aqualand Promaster that I wear more out of the water than in. Great rugged watch that has treated me well down to 120' -ish...

Helix Dive Watch from Timex is a super timepiece!! Reg. cost is $130 but many internet sites have the 04' on sale for $45!!

My wife bought me a Citizen Automatic 200M Diver's watch when I completed my Master's degree. No bells, no whistles, just very durable with a one way rotating bezel, classic dive watch looks and a little thinner than the Seiko equivalent. It is smaller than one of the hyperland or duplex watches and looks a lot nicer in polite company and is more practical at work every day.

out of the promasters, I would go for the duplex without a doubt, but I have to agree with Bob, a mosquito is probably the way to go for real practical value..

When I graduated hs I got a Heuer dive watch. quite a few years later--in 02 the watch was sent off for it's regular cleaning and they informed me that they could no longer guarantee it to be water proof due to corrosion in the seal area. They offered me 50 percent off any TAG Heuer watch. I know have a new TAG Heuer Formula 1. The Chrono version cost more but it is a stylish watch that is very suitable for diving as was the one I got as a gift. In any case, Heuer is a good watch and the Formula 1 should run about 600 to 800 dollars. They of course have watches costing quite a few thousand also--probably more than you wish to spend.
The thing about buying some kinda dive computer/watch like the Suunto Stinger is that 5 years from now it will be obsolete as will any digital whatever ya macallit--whereas--a nice watch will be with him for many years as a reminder of how proud you were of his accomplishment. N

I agree completely with Nemrod - a good watch will last for decades and still be as useful as the day it was received.

I would go toward the Mosquito as well. Functional as a dive computer, practical as a dive watch. Call it obsolete if you wish, it is still usable not to mention economical. Wear it to a Luau, to a formal dinner or through Devil's throat in Cozumel, it's up to any of the tasks. (The preceding was NOT a paid advertisement by Suunto or any of its subsidiaries.)

Back
Top Bottom