Halibut hunting in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianM

Contributor
Reaction score
I am fairly new to hunting (other than abalone)and decided I would like to get into it, so I recently bought a used speargun. The owner said it is great for Halibut and has taken hundreds with it and even drew me a map of good areas to try (off of Del Monte Beach). I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on where to look or if this time of year is even good for flatties?? The gun is a scubapro 36" Panther composite gun with 2 bands and a breakaway tip with a cable running to the shaft. I replaced the shock line as it was ready to fail, and I installed new bands. Other than that, it is in perfect shape.
I have heard you can swim over the sand dollar beds when the tide is just starting to go back out and you can spot them all over, but I just would like to get a few more opinions on where to go and what to look for.

Thanks

Brian

Be sure to shoot them from the front and not behind. When the shaft hits the fish, it will swim forward directly to you.
When you get your first Halibut, disect the head area and learn where the brain is, so the next time if you don't stone it, you will know where to "brain" it with your knife.

Kyle

BrianM:
I am fairly new to hunting (other than abalone)and decided I would like to get into it, so I recently bought a used speargun. The owner said it is great for Halibut and has taken hundreds with it and even drew me a map of good areas to try (off of Del Monte Beach). I am wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on where to look or if this time of year is even good for flatties?? The gun is a scubapro 36" Panther composite gun with 2 bands and a breakaway tip with a cable running to the shaft. I replaced the shock line as it was ready to fail, and I installed new bands. Other than that, it is in perfect shape.
I have heard you can swim over the sand dollar beds when the tide is just starting to go back out and you can spot them all over, but I just would like to get a few more opinions on where to go and what to look for.

Thanks

Brian

I'm told that the flatties have moved to deeper water.

March to October is the best time, or so I'm told...I'm a newbie also, and would be happy to dive for Halibut when the season comes back, if you'd like...

Sean

Actually, winter time is my favorite for Halibut hunting. Last winter I bagged over 30 hali's in less than 10' of water.

Kyle

Kyle is in so-cal so we can't reliably use his halibut advice as to when to hunt. For nor-cal our halibut go to deep water in the winter. I will be happy to dive for halibut with you this spring, and I even have a spot with better potential also. As a bonus I have a boat.

Justin699:
Kyle is in so-cal so we can't reliably use his halibut advice as to when to hunt. For nor-cal our halibut go to deep water in the winter. I will be happy to dive for halibut with you this spring, and I even have a spot with better potential also. As a bonus I have a boat.

That would be great...we will definitely have to put something together next spring, maybe the 3 of us can go and nail some nice Halibut. I am going up the coast tomorrow for the holidays and I will be bringing the gun just in case there is a lazy one who forgot to head for the deep water... I think we will try to dive near Gualala and again up near Van Damme. We are also looking at going on a Truth Aquatics trip in late February which allows hunting. Keep in touch guys and we can get together in the spring!

BrianM:
That would be great...we will definitely have to put something together next spring, maybe the 3 of us can go and nail some nice Halibut. I am going up the coast tomorrow for the holidays and I will be bringing the gun just in case there is a lazy one who forgot to head for the deep water... I think we will try to dive near Gualala and again up near Van Damme. We are also looking at going on a Truth Aquatics trip in late February which allows hunting. Keep in touch guys and we can get together in the spring!

Hey guys,

i just came upon this thread. The idea of catching halibut sounds great. i've just started spearfishing this past October. So far I have two regular dive buddies up on the north coast area and am now looking for more to go hunting in the Monterey area. I know halibuts have gone to deeper water, but the cabezons and rockfishes are still in season. Anyone interested in diving Monterey/Carmel for some cabs and rockfishes?

BTW, this past weekend I was up in the North Coast: Fort Ross and Gerstle Cove to be exact. I caught a 10lb cabezon along with some nice coppers and a greenling. Here are some pics. Click on the "Salt Point" photo album.

http://photos.yahoo.com/scubajunkee

-eR

I am all for a group dive with some new people as long as everybody respects safety, I have freedove with some that are less than vigilant

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom