Why is DIR left hand release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squee!

Contributor
Reaction score
So I have been interested in DIR, trying to absorb as much info as I can, and I just finished watching the chapter 4 of DIRIII from USC SCUBA club and in explaining the DIR weighting equipment, george says that it should be left-hand release. Why is this? I know that the normal convention is right-hand release.

squee!:
...george says that it should be left-hand release...
Well, I don't do a lot of things just 'cause george says that's how it should be. Somehow it still works and it's still "DIR"....

Including the right hand release on my weight belt (when I actually wear one) :D

As for why the left hand release? I haven't seen the videos... doesn't he tell you why in the video? Why even buy the video if he doesn't tell you why? Can you email him and ask him? :eyebrow:

The waist strap on the backplate is a right hand release. Perhaps the suggestion to left hand release the weightbelt is to keep the two from being confused.

Personally I don't find that a problem and I use both as right hand release.

I agree with Pug. When I use a weight belt, both are right hand release for me as well. As stated on the video, the buckle on the harness should be positioned far to the right of center on your body so that if you need to ditch, and bring your hand to your waist it won't be anywhere near the buckle for your harness. This is to hold the canister light in place and also to prevent it from being mistaken for the weight belt buckle, which should be in or near the center of your body.

I haven't taken the DIR-f course yet, largely due to circumstance more than deliberately putting it off. From the reading and research that I have done, however, this is the justification that I have seen.

reefraff:
You...you...Hogarthians, you! :wink:
:11:

reef called me... uh.... I mean us... a Hog!!!
MAK52580:
This is to hold the canister light in place...
You are correct about having the waist buckle off center to the right. But I actually use a separate buckle to hold the light can in place.... It would really suck to undo the waist strap for whatever reason and have the can slip off :11:
I don't have a problem telling the difference between the weight belt and the waist strap either.

I actually use a separate buckle for my light as well. If you dont use a separate buckle, then the harness buckle should keep the light in place. If you use an extra buckle, then the harness buckle should butt up against the light buckle, which is the way that I have mine.

Snowbear:
:11:

reef called me... uh.... I mean us... a Hog!!!
You are correct about having the waist buckle off center to the right. But I actually use a separate buckle to hold the light can in place.... It would really suck to undo the waist strap for whatever reason and have the can slip off :11:
I don't have a problem telling the difference between the weight belt and the waist strap either.

Uncle Pug:
The waist strap on the backplate is a right hand release. Perhaps the suggestion to left hand release the weightbelt is to keep the two from being confused.

Personally I don't find that a problem and I use both as right hand release.
Pug is right about the waist strap...

That is where the original Right hand release rule came from in the first place, back in the days before the widespread use of velcro cummerbunds on BCD's. the belts (with identical buckles) were configured in opposite directions to reduce confusion.

Interestingly enough, when you buy the bottom end BCD's nowadays that come with waist strap not cummerbund, you will usually find that the waist strap is mounted as a right hand release. This is because the buckle, when put on as a left hand release has the logo upside down and the manufacturers dont want to have to produce two different buckles.

personally I have a right hand release on my waist strap, and dont use a weight belt, when I dive dry, I use a Vee weight between my doubles.

MAK52580:
If you use an extra buckle, then the harness buckle should butt up against the light buckle...
Mine doesn't - that would put the waist buckle too far off to the side (and a bit more difficult to reach) for my preference.
As you will find out when you take your DIRf, the DIR principles are not as rigid as many of the more vocal proponents portray it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom