Key West: Need Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cknauss

New
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Greetings from sunny Los Angeles!
I need advice and info on diving in Key West.
Headed there the first week in December.
This is my first post. Appreciate your input/suggestions.
cknauss

Howdy and welcome to SB, but your post was moved for better coverage on your request. If you'd like to Introduce yourself in the Intros forum so we can welcome you appropriately, that'd be great.

Your Profile does not give your dive history, which challenges answering your questions. You can use Quick Links above to fix that, if you'd like.

Key West is not really known for a dive locaton as much as the other Keys, and my last two trips out there have been limited to Key Largo area, but the next time I get to the Lower Keys, I hope to go with Capt Jim: http://www.reef-divers.com/ This would be a short drive for you, and much better diving than Key West, I think. :palmtree:

cknauss:
Hey Guys!
cknauss

cknauss, howdy there LA. I just got back from Key West. I had a good time diving. It was shallow reef dives. I saw a lot of good life,Nurse Sharks,1 Bull Shark,Dolphins,etc. Water was good. I went out with Captains Corner,the operation was good,clean boat friendly crew. However it was a cattle boat and we went to pasture with all the other cattle. I only had time for one day of diving so I did not get a chance to check out other operators. From where we departed,parking is close,I think it is 10 a day. I took hotel shuttle so a free ride for me. There is also a large dive shop(Divers Direct I think) close by so if you need something you can get it quick.
Have fun
Kirk

I second Capt. Jim, who dives Looe Key. I stayed in Key West, would wake up at 7:15, and was on his boat by 8am....he's an easy 20 minute drive. Don gave you his website info; I'd check him out. He does everything from the shallow, pretty reefs to deep, technical stuff. Email him with your interest, and I'll bet he'll work something out. 6 divers on the boat max.

Jim

cknauss:
Hey Guys!
cknauss

Greetings from Nashville, TN!

I will echo the vote for Capt. Jim Wyatt. He runs a very smooth operation, and knows the Keys better than perhaps anyone else down there. He would be my first choice.

My second choice would be the folks at the Key West Diving Society (www.keywestdivingsociety.com). They have been in KYW for many years, and have a decent boat. They concentrate on dives right there in Key West...

Hope this helps....

Randy Cain

Hoping/aiming to spend my b'day weekend diving out with Capt Jim - just need to get around to booking it with him! There are other options, but i thought i would go with a well known and helpful (on SB at least) sounding guy. Let us know how the dives went :wink:

Wyatt's your best op down that way. Key West is a ton of fun too. Where are you going to stay? There are some UNREAL awesome places to stay down there.

[COLOR=Blue]Sounds like Capt Jim's the man in the keys! Heading down to the keys from Ft Meyers Jan. 13-20th. Have room in car for one or two that need trans and will share fuel costs. Any divers intested?[/COLOR]

In Key west I have had the best results with Subtropic. Good boats & staff.
The best dives in KW are Cayman Salvager (90') and Joe's Tug (60'). the reefs in that area are in poor shape. The best reef in that part of the Keys is 25 miles east, Looe Key. there are several good operators on Ramrod and Big Pine Keys that will take You there.

Jim Hiatt

cknauss:
Hey Guys!
cknauss

Capt Jim is the way to go. He can find you a reasonable place to stay, has a personal and professional operation, and a wealth of knowledge of the Keys.

Like diving with an old friend.

I've been a customer of his for 4 years, and rank every dive with him among my best.

http://www.reef-divers.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom