I joined the Chris Bangs Club today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Uhhhhh, not in a good way.. Rather the Chris Bangs FLood Club

you know what they say not if, but when,,,,,,

Had a goodly amount of water collecting in the dome, entering through a control shaft on the back of the housing that was not sealed. I held the rig port down until I could get out of the water and dry things off. Dive time was 4 minutes, so it was a quick dip for the camera.

Camera was wet, some water on battery, none I could visually see in the batt. compartment. A drop or two on the CF card. None in the lens, none in the camera body that I could visually see with the lens removed.

All functions of the camera appear to work. USed it all day shooting todside pics, checking al functions. What is the wisest course of action? Send it to Canon to be looked at?

Housing - I found the source of the leak, can fix that myself (i'll let Aquatica do it), but electronics appear to be shot - electornic shutter release doesn't work, hotshoe won't fire strobe.

Thoughts? ideas? advice?

Camera and housing insured via DAN

I'm bummed, but not devastated. I don't feel like such a rube anymore, my forst flood.... It'll get fixed, I'm more bummed I probably won't have the rig back for a new years trip.......

Chris

Bummer...but it could have been so much worse! And now you don't have to worry about the WHEN!!!

Since you did find water on the CF card and on the batteries, I think I'd send it to Canon just to be safe. You have to send the housing off anyway so better to give up a few topside pics now than possible alot of UW ones later!

Just my 2¢

What a drag, Chris!! I hope you get it back in time for your trip... if not, there's always your old Oly collecting dust in the corner :wink:!

Jennifer

Get the camera repaired asap! otherwise it WILL die as there is salt water in there somewhere. The CF card proved that. check your lens very closely as well, lots of electronics in it as well.

second! MY Club!?! :wink:

Well that does it! ! ! ! !
I may never take my camera in the water again. Everybody has had their turn and now look who is left - me. I know I'm new at this but is it too early to retire???

Sorry to hear about your club membership Chris.

Been there done that too. My Aqautica flooded. I was so lucky, thanks to my buddy! I had a moisture alarm and it saved me. I would recommend anyone to get one best money I spent.

Looks like one might not have help you - yours was such a quick dive - 4 minutes.

Becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom