Film Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think thatis for 60th ... standard...

If the strobe is supplying all of the light for the exposure it doesn't matter which shutter speed you use, the strobe flash will be much shorter than the exposure time. Your exposure time will only affect the amount of natural light the film is exposed to. In a dark background the different exposure times will have no effect, in brighter conditions you can vary the background lightness by using different exposure times.

Greg

WGregVet:
If the strobe is supplying all of the light for the exposure it doesn't matter which shutter speed you use, the strobe flash will be much shorter than the exposure time. Your exposure time will only affect the amount of natural light the film is exposed to. In a dark background the different exposure times will have no effect, in brighter conditions you can vary the background lightness by using different exposure times.

Greg

sure what you mean. The att photo was taken in TTL and as you see there is no light from the strobes, what would be the best shutter speed in this situation (manual)

remember that the chart on the strobe is a guide and will get you in the ballpark. lighter subjects may require less light and darker subjects may require more. Therefore, bracketing your shots is recomended.

cdiver2:
sure what you mean. The att photo was taken in TTL and as you see there is no light from the strobes, what would be the best shutter speed in this situation (manual)

did you use a strobe on that shot?

Chris Bangs:
did you use a strobe on that shot?

Thats what I can not understand two S & S YS120s. All my shots but one came out like this in the same situation ( inside a crevice looking out ). The one that did light up had very little blue water in the background ( diver in front of me). All other shots came out ok.

cdiver2:
Thats what I can not understand two S & S YS120s. All my shots but one came out like this in the same situation ( inside a crevice looking out ). The one that did light up had very little blue water in the background ( diver in front of me). All other shots came out ok.

what camera/lens are you using and in what shooting mode. How far are the walls from the camera?

if you use a SLR, with spot metering selected AND shooting in TTL , the camera will read the bright entrance and reduce the strobe output thinking very little is needed.

sorry after looking at the shot again, spot metering would not have done that as the entrance is not centered. I still think it is a camera setting issue

my advice! in such a situation - Shoot manually. these type of shots are not all that simple.

Chris Bangs:
sorry after looking at the shot again, spot metering would not have done that as the entrance is not centered. I still think it is a camera setting issue

my advice! in such a situation - Shoot manually. these type of shots are not all that simple.

New camera and housing, rebel G 20mm lens. After thinking about your last post it may have been the metering. Camera in the vertical position so all three metering areas would have been in the blue. Duh

Back
Top Bottom