VB Turkey Fry - Recon Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Took one for the team today and went to Venice beach to do a little recon for next weekend.

The water was flat, 75 degrees, with about 10' vis (although I could see my dive flag at 15'). If the weather holds, next weekend will be really nice.

I talked to a couple of divers getting out and they said it was cold, so I made a mistake and wore my john/jacket and was underweighted. My Jacket must have shrunk, too. It's been in my closet since March, and was a very tight fit.

The bottom has changed significantly. The sandbar has been pushed out about 50'. I actually descended before I got to it, and resurfaced to get past it. Just past the sandbar is where the first bed used to be (13'). Got out and went north without much success, so I turned south, and had much better luck. Ended up with 52 teeth, with three MEGS (although small ones). I hit a honey spot, but was running light on weight and got tired of fighting it.

I think the best area to hit right now is to go out straight from the white pipes, and south when you hit 13' - stay 13'-15'. That's where I found most of my teeth and all three megs.

Thanks Jeff,

The teeth look great. Megs have eluded me every time, and you found three at once :11:

Anyway, Hope to make it next weekend.

See Ya' then,

Wildbill:cop_2:

Ok, should i make this saturday's dives i might bring a rake to dig through all that sand! Didnt come back with much on the last dive out there (just before Colin took one in the shoulder). Jeff, do recall a similar thing last fall when i did my first dive and you were tethered to an underweighted diver in zero viz? Easy to do, thankfully i can stay down now :wink: Might just keep the 5mm from the weekend's cave diving to do VB next weekend.

Actually, I didn't have any more success digging than I did just looking on the top. I found all three megs within about 5 minutes, all on top on the way back in. The area I found was sweet, and it's easy to find again (I hope). I haven't previously seen this type of structure this shallow at VB, it's a lot closer to the stuff you usually find in the deeper water (19-20'). Lots of rocks and larger shells.

Yes, Simon, I remember that :). As I recall. The way things are looking, though, we'll at least be able to see our fins this weekend!

The water was not as cold as I had been led to believe. Still thong weather for Colin. :11:

Sweet!
75 is not as cold as I was expecting for this time of year (73 Nov. 17 last year). Maybe it will hold till this weekend.

I hope so. The couple that were getting out when I was gearing up were wearing 7mm full suits with hoods and complaining of the cold, or I would have worn my shorty and had a longer (and maybe more prosperous) dive :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom