HID light thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meng_Tze

Homo Bonae Voluntatis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I am just about to buy a new HID light and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Dive Lights International's BlackWater 5000? I did look for the Halcyon style lights and its clones, the OMS variety etc, etc. I quite like the possibility of the BlackWater 5000 since one can switch three combinations: 12W, 20W and 32W. 32W probably is overkill in most circumstances, but on the other hand if it is cheaper than Halcyon with more possibilities................

I am looking forward to the responses (being aware that Halcyon has a 'prefered' status with many). I personally think that if the equipment falls within the frame of DIR, the brand is irrelevant.

Thanks,

Where to start...

a) it's not HID, it's Halogen, meaning that your suspected light output is significantly reduced.

b) The light head is not focusable.

c) The burn time is pathetically short - the closest you'll find to a 10w HID equivalent (the 32 watt) setting only gives you 1:10.

d) There's no hard goodman handle, or as near as I can see, even an option on one.

e) At $650, it's overpriced. Way, WAY overpriced.

Do I need to go on?

You might want to check Salvo Diving.

Barry Miller is the original designer of the Halcyon lights. He's left Halcyon and started his own business. You'll notice the lights look remarkably 'familiar' only the prices are much more palatable.

Or there is always the option of doing it prpoerly the first time. As someone who played the game of trying to save some $$, it didn't really work as I wanted it to, then bought the real stuff. Much cheaper in the long run to purchase the tried and true gear first.

I have a Halcyon light. The EXCELLENT customer service provided is also something to consider.

mer:
Or there is always the option of doing it prpoerly the first time. As someone who played the game of trying to save some $$, it didn't really work as I wanted it to, then bought the real stuff. Much cheaper in the long run to purchase the tried and true gear first.

I have a Halcyon light. The EXCELLENT customer service provided is also something to consider.

Well, I love my Halcyon gear including my can light, but it is pricey. Moreover, it does seem that what distinguishes Halcyon products is great design rather than great production quality. So if the design of the other products is comparable and if I could get a look at the product or get a reliable recommendation about production quality, I'd be inclined to at least look other products.

I have owned 2 Dive Lights International lights, First was the halo- NR600-15 w, at most the burn time was 2 hrs.
I also own the HID 18w that I use with my camera unit.
I have found the customer service from DLI to be 1st class.

I have since upgraded to the Helios9 and there is no comparison to DLI.
What ever you buy, get a focusable beam.
keep your eye on ebay.

I personally own two DLI lights ... the Blackwater 3000 and the 10W HID. I also own a Terkel 10W HID and a Halcyon Helios 9 18W HID. My thoughts ...

The Blackwater 5000 isn't an HID light, it's a light with two halogen light heads. It has some nice features, such as wet leads that allow you to plug in a second battery underwater, and a switch on the light head that allows you to turn the light off and on. You can also switch to either lamp, or both, to either conserve battery usage or maximize light intensity as conditions require. These are nice features, and very suitable for certain types of diving. However, it's the wrong tool if you're looking for a DIR-style HID light.

Their HID light is a 13-degree beam, which is wide. It's great for photography and recreational diving, but fairly useless for signalling. On the positive side, the lights are bullet-proof. I use mine when conducting working dives because of the amount of abuse they'll take without problems. They have a small package ... both canister and light-head (btw - they use a velcro strap rather than a goodman handle, but functionally I don't see that makes much difference).

DLI's customer service is gold-standard ... I have personally spoken to both Henry Hester and Tom Carroll and am extremely impressed with the way they deal with their customers. I have owned both NiteRider lights for as long as I've been diving, and they've held up extremely well. However, since you're asking in the DIR forum, I can only assume you want a DIR-recommended light, and NiteRider doesn't fit that bill.

If you want a 10W HID light, there are numerous excellent lights out there that are less expensive than Halcyon ... Terkel, Dive Rite, OMS, and a number of smaller companies that you can find by doing a little research on the Internet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
They have a small package ... both canister and light-head (btw - they use a velcro strap rather than a goodman handle, but functionally I don't see that makes much difference).
Just to chime in here... I've used NWGD's NiteRider with the velcro strap before and the strap drove me to distraction compared to a goodman handle. I hold my light in my left hand and switch it to my right when checking my gas or dumping my suit, and that velcro strap just did not work well at all for me. The light itself worked fine, but there definitely was a pretty big functionality difference between the velcro and a true goodman handle in my opinion.

Jimmie

I'll toss in my recommendation for the Sandroff Canister!

Canister Dimensions: 8.5” (high) X 3.5” (diameter)

Material & color: Black Delrin, machined from a solid Delrin rod

Weight: with Battery Pack: 5 lbs

Buoyancy with Battery Pack: - 1.75 lbs

Hardware: screws, pipe clamps, latches are Stainless Steel.
Compression fittings for light head cable are SS and chrome steel.

Pressure tested to 555 ffw.

Battery Pack
20 - 4.5 amp hour 4/3 Fat A, Sanyo NiMH Cells, wired as two strings of
10 (in series) in parallel

Nominal voltage: 12 volts

Current capacity: 9 amp hours

Burn time: Using an 21 Watt, HID Light Head, between 3.5 and 4 hours.

Charger included.

Note the improved strain relief compression fitting which is now incorporated on both the canister and the lighthead.

Add to this an EKPP reflector and a Goodman handle and you'll have yourself a killer light. I love mine!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom