Lake Havasu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

new guy

Registered
Reaction score
I am from Southern Calif., and grew up vacationing at Lake Havasu.
I am interested in diving the lake, but is it really worth it? I found the site for the local dive shop in Havasu City. Just curious if anyone dives it regularly and any tips you may have..

We went to Havasu right after getting certified. The viz was bad then. We stopped in at a LDS for air and weren't impressed. No one there seemed interested in diving the lake or even talking about it. Maybe they were just having a bad day.

We would like to dive it again, but only because we've heard there are some cool things to see there. Supposedly there's an old saloon that was on the Colorado bank before the dam was built. It's two stories and can be penetrated. There's also a cavern and some drift diving. All of these sites require a boat to get to them, though. So unless you have one or want to rent one, it's not worth it. Here's a website where you can get information on the dive sites there:

http://www.ctaz.com/~bwana/havasu.htm

It comes from the LDS we went to. The map they refer to isn't that great. Combining the two may help though.

One final thing--the average depth of Havasu is about 40 feet, so don't expect too much.

Hope this helps!

I have a PDC here in LHC --- Scuba Training and Technology Inc. We dive the lake here all the time because we have it. Vis during the winter is 20-30 foot. Water temps are 59f now. For the most part we have 900 acres of fish habitats, "geology" diving a few cool "walls" and lots of "rummaging" where we find everything from beads to rolex watches. It's good fun diving and a GREAT place to practice your skills. We have an active dive club here and we have lots of fun.

As to the old saloon........ we have lot's of saloons in "lakehavabrew" but i have yet to find one u/w.

Drop me a line and we can get you set up.

Regards,

JS1scuba:
I have a PDC here in LHC --- Scuba Training and Technology Inc. We dive the lake here all the time because we have it. Vis during the winter is 20-30 foot. Water temps are 59f now. For the most part we have 900 acres of fish habitats, "geology" diving a few cool "walls" and lots of "rummaging" where we find everything from beads to rolex watches. It's good fun diving and a GREAT place to practice your skills. We have an active dive club here and we have lots of fun.

As to the old saloon........ we have lot's of saloons in "lakehavabrew" but i have yet to find one u/w.

Drop me a line and we can get you set up.

Regards,

Joel, like I said, we've done limited diving there, but are interested in doing more. Any decent shore diving in Havasu? We just got a boat, but it won't be ready for the water until late Spring, early Summer (it was free and needs some work on the motor), and we'd like to get up there before that to take advantage of the viz. We've heard of the rummaging dives as well, especially after Spring break.

As for the saloon, here's the information from that website:

Liverpool Landing - Underwater City
Depth: 50 - 60 feet
Visibility: 10 - 40 feet
Current: 2 - 6 Knots
Skill level: Master - Advanced Navigation - Penetration
Position you boat so that the red beacon at site five is at a bearing of 000 (North) and the furthest white chock cliff to the south is at a bearing of 180. Then position your boat so that you are in the middle of these to points. Underwater, look for the river rock beds (where the old river used to be, before they filled up the lake). Run the river bed East and/or West until you find the river dock (a man-powered ferry for horses). Follow the river dock East, on a bearing of 090, until you run into the Saloon. Look for bar stools! Run north on the front side of the saloon. The next building is the Blacksmith's shop! Look for the anvil - Please leave it there!! The next building, running north, is the livery stable. Look for the fenced stables and horse troughs. Next, still running north is the Hotel. 2 stories - the first being another saloon and the second being the hotel. There is a mirror in the third bedroom. WARNING!! Extremely bad Mojo, and bad luck to anyone who disturbs this site or takes anything from it. Please leave it there!! Look but don't take anything!! Also, if you are planning to penetrate the buildings - DO IT RIGHT!! Safety divers, ropes, wreck reels, dive lights, the whole nine yards!!

Is this site just a crock? It looks legit. Maybe you can check it out on one of your outings. PM us your dive schedule for the next couple of months and we'll try to schedule a trip up your way. We'll definitely look you up next time we're there.

Divaholics:
Joel, like I said, we've done limited diving there, but are interested in doing more. Any decent shore diving in Havasu? We just got a boat, but it won't be ready for the water until late Spring, early Summer (it was free and needs some work on the motor), and we'd like to get up there before that to take advantage of the viz. We've heard of the rummaging dives as well, especially after Spring break.

As for the saloon, here's the information from that website:

Liverpool Landing - Underwater City
Depth: 50 - 60 feet
Visibility: 10 - 40 feet
Current: 2 - 6 Knots
Skill level: Master - Advanced Navigation - Penetration
Is this site just a crock? It looks legit. Maybe you can check it out on one of your outings. PM us your dive schedule for the next couple of months and we'll try to schedule a trip up your way. We'll definitely look you up next time we're there.

First, there is NO-way you can have a 2-6 knot current in the middle of the lake unless the Parker damn is full open wide and the river is draining. That website lists dozens of sites that just plain dont exist. The only way I get a 2 knot current in the middle of the lake is when I take my high powered DPV and ride it full out open!

We dont have a "dive schedule" at least not for the lake. People want to dive we dive. People dont want to dive ... we dive. Hey its tuesday 2pm you wanna dive ?

Stop in and see us.

2959 Kiowa Blvd North.

Thanks

FYI -- January 1st the Lake Havasu Divers Association will meet for its 2nd Annual Frozen Fin Dive. Brave divers from the city and surrounding areas get together to start the year off right... Right in the water.

We do this at LHC Training Site # 5 and we have a blast.

While we dont have ice on our water out here in the desert it sure makes for a fun morning.

For info PM me.

Regards,

Interesting. I'm glad we haven't wasted our time looking for those sites. We'll definitely give you a call and stop in next time we head up to LHC. The New Year's dive sounds fun, but we already scheduled a trip back east to see family and do a New Year's dive at Dutch Springs. We'll try LHC next year, though. Thanks for the info, Joel.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm planning on making it out there sometime this winter if I can get one of my buddies to go. I have a boat, and my wife is a non diver, so she is going to stay on the boat for safety.. If I get out ther, I'll visit the shop...

Back
Top Bottom