LDS recommendations for certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I posted this first over on newdiver.com before I discovered this site. I think you guys/gals get more volume over here! :)

Anyways, I'm interested in getting my certification, and am looking for any recomendations in the greater Seattle area, preferably as close to Redmond/Kirkland as possible.

Thanks!
Jason

About 5 years ago while visiting Maui I did 2 "introductory" dives through the hotel and absolutely loved it. I meant to get certified afterwards but, well, you know I put it off and it dropped of my radar screen.

Well I just got back from a 2 week vacation on Kauai and did 4 more "introductory" dives (not really introductory for me anymore, huh!) Anyways I'm hooked again and have renewed my vow to get certified.

Luckily all 4 of my dives were either just me and the instructor, or with my step-father who is already a fairly experienced diver. I'd heard that newbie divers go through more air, but was shocked when comparing my air pressure to my instructor and step-father. My longest dive was about 56 minutes, and according to my instructor's computer at an avg depth of 35ft, and I was at 700 psi. I checked my step-dad's pressure gauge and he was around 1600! I'm 34, he's 61, both in decent shape, but I figured I'd be able to outlast him! :wink: Hard to compare my instructor’s pressure because he had a smaller tank (63? I think), while we had 80's.

Anyways, so I'm back in Seattle now (Redmond actually for those familiar with the area) and set on getting certified before my next vacation. Though I've been told by my step-father and others the Puget Sound in a great place to dive, I'm not so excited about cold water diving as tropical diving. I don't like the idea of such limited visibility?

Any recommendations on where to get certified? Anything specific I should look for or avoid?

Don't let me slouch off again and not get certified!

There are several good shops in your area ... the ones reasonably close to Redmond that I would recommend are Northwest Sports Divers in Kenmore, and Bubbles Below in Woodinville. I have had good experiences with both (received my Instructor training at NWSD, in fact), and would recommend either as a reputable place to learn how to dive.

FWIW - NWSD is NAUI, Bubbles Below is PADI ... if that makes any difference to you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just wanted to add that diving around here really is a lot of fun, so don't totally close your mind to it!

Another shop in Redmond is Silent World. The only reason I mention them is that they teach their Open Water courses in drysuits from what I understand, which greatly enhances the diving experience in the Sound. I have no personal experience with that shop other than I purchased my drysuit from them earlier this year.

Jimmie

I'll add Fifth Dimension in Issaquah to this list. They are SSI for Open Water.

I recently had the pleasure of diving with a new OW diver that had gotten his cert from there. He had around 30 dives and his overall skills were impressive!!! Buoyancy, trim and buddy skills were near flawless for a new diver. He has an open invite to dive with me any time. On one of our dives we thought we had an OOA situation ( another diver, from a different group), my buddy remained very composed and stayed in close contact with me while we sorted it out. With all this said he may have been the class prodigy. On the other hand he didn't act at all like a new diver.

Another person on this board - Lamont, went through that program. He to started off as an excellent diver too.

If you can talk Grateful Diver into teaching you, then that would be the best of all worlds. Bob is a truly gifted instuctor. You would come out of his course very well prepared.

BTW - the diving here is amazing. So much to see. I agree with you about the vis., but on those days when it gets around 100' and clear, you really appreciate it. Lots of great dive spots and an excellent dive community. BC and PNW is always rated very highly worldwide for its excellent diving.

BTW - Welcome to the board. It's a great place to ask questions and get info.

OE2X:
Another person on this board - Lamont, went through that program. He to started off as an excellent diver too.

and its all been downhill from there! =)

(oh yeah, technically I started with PADI OW, but I had about 20 dives with fifthd guys by the time I took DIRF... it helps quite a bit...)

Silent World was my LDS for 3 years before I moved to the other side of the Sound. They had higher prices than other shops but their attitude more than compensated for the difference in my mind. First drysuit, drysuit class, bc, tanks, hoods, and various other cold water gear was purchased thru them along with charters to the San Juans and South Sound. We still do a 3 hour trip to have our gear's annual service done by them.

Thanks for all the replies!

For sound dives, does everyone here pretty much use dry suits? I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but the added fiddling with the drysuit was another concern I had diving in cold water. But the more I read about it, the more I'm warming up to the idea of trying it here in P.S. :)

I'll call some of the places listed above and hopefully I can keep this ball rolling!

PS, what is DIRF?

Ack, OK, now I'm getting confused. I went to Fith Dimension's website and I see their certs are SSI and GUE. I've only heard of PADI and NAUI.

I know they probably all teach similiar skills, but what are possible advantages / disadvantages to choosing one over the other? I know PADI is the most common, so in my naivete I tend to lean that direction. I'd just hate to go on vacation somewhere and not be able to dive because they don't recognize my cert!

Thanks for the help!
Jason

JasonH20:
Thanks for all the replies!

For sound dives, does everyone here pretty much use dry suits? I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but the added fiddling with the drysuit was another concern I had diving in cold water. But the more I read about it, the more I'm warming up to the idea of trying it here in P.S. :)

I'll call some of the places listed above and hopefully I can keep this ball rolling!

PS, what is DIRF?

Drysuits make coldwater diving much more enjoyable. They take some extra time to master, but are more than worth the effort.
You can always take your OW course in a rented wetsuit, then progress to a drysuit as your skills improve.

DIRF is a class put on by GUE that stresses improving and mastering what they consider fundamentals of diving.
Its usefulness depends on who you talk to. Get your OW class finished, then consider further instruction once you know what you need.

Good luck,
MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom