Any good Abalone chowder recipes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried it before and found out ab is not a good ingredient for chowder. Too chewy. I like to pan fry it. But make sure to pound it before you cook it.

scubajunkee:
Hi there,

I bagged three abalones this past weekend. Does anyone have a good recipe for abalone chowder?

-eR

scubajunkee:
Hi there,

I bagged three abalones this past weekend. Does anyone have a good recipe for abalone chowder?

-eR

Scrub the foot to remove all the black stuff, cut off the "guts", and then dice what's left (you don't have to trim the foot for this one!). Cover the abalone pieces with cold water, bring to a boil and then simmer for two hours. At this point, the abalone will be clam-tender and can be substituted in your favorite clam chower recipe. Enjoy.

And to think, I used to throw away the trimmings!

jlyle:
Scrub the foot to remove all the black stuff, cut off the "guts", and then dice what's left (you don't have to trim the foot for this one!). Cover the abalone pieces with cold water, bring to a boil and then simmer for two hours. At this point, the abalone will be clam-tender and can be substituted in your favorite clam chower recipe. Enjoy.

And to think, I used to throw away the trimmings!

I don't have a clam chowder recipe. most of my chowders come from a restaurant or from Campbell's. Do you have a recipe?

-eR

Go to epicurious.com and type in "clam chowder" and take your pick. I prefer the "white" chowder, but many others like the "red."

Here's mine:

3 or 4 slices of bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 T flour
the abalone pieces
16 oz of the water you boiled the abs in
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 bay leaf
2 & 1/2 cups half and half
salt/pepper
parika
finely chopped parsley (optional)

Fry the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Saute the onion and celery in the bacon fat until the onion is soft and transparent. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the ab water, add the bacon, potatoes and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add the half and half and the ab pieces. Salt/pepper to taste. Heat through, do not boil. Serve, garnish with parika and parsley. A splash of sherry makes it really, really good! Enjoy.

Skip the chowder, they are too good to waste in this manner.

Pound to tenderness,
drench in egg,
roll in bread crumbs,
fry,
when turned place a split ortegan chili and jack chees on the top.

Or just eat fried.

Man my mouth is watering. Is it May yet?

Back
Top Bottom