Wing BC for Single or Double tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are about to get numerous responses that no one wing will do the proper work for both setups.

What you will receive is advice to use a single wing for a single tank setup and a doubles wing for a double tank setup and all of the associated data.

It would probably be good to follow this advice.

What he said ^^^^.

I've been there, I've done that, and I've since realized it didn't work. I went out and bought a dedicated wing for each. There really is no way around it.

Yup get the proper wing for the proper job.

I've gotten anal about it and I have 4 wings: a pioneer36 for single steels, a pioneer27 for warm water, an explorer40 for double 80s, and an explorer55 for double steels. It's much easier to develop your skills with the right equipment. Once you get good, you can probably make a trashbag work, but will know it when things are not *ideal*.

The good news is, you only need one STA, and one BP/harness, in most cases.

Man, an explorer would be flappin' in the breeze with a single tank. Talk about drag. Just get an Eclipse and an Explorer...Halcyon will take good care of your money. :)

it's called "taco" effect. a doubles wing will fold right around a single tank. Bad news.

2 wings is really the only way to go (unless you want more of course).

CALI68:
Man, an explorer would be flappin' in the breeze with a single tank. Talk about drag. Just get an Eclipse and an Explorer...Halcyon will take good care of your money. :)

While you're at it you better get the AL plate for travel and the steel for home. :)

nagonoj:
Can the Halcyon Explorer wing be set up for single tank? I like to have a wing that can do both. Is it a good Idea?
It is an idea tested by others before you.

The Explorer wing is a different shape than than a single tank wing - it is wider, in order to fit under a set of doubles (obviously). If you use it with a single tank, it will flap up around the tank - the dreaded Taco Effect. This isn't the end of the world, but it does make it harder to shift air around in the wing and to reach the rear dump valve.

Single tank wings are narrower, to avoid these problems.

I've seen people using single tank wings with a small set of doubles, and double tank wings with a single tank. It can be done, but it seems to necessarily involve a good bit of swearing and complaining. You will probably be happier using the wing the way it was designed to be used.

Switching wings is simple. A wing all by itself is not terribly expensive, so it's not that much of a financial burden to use the right tool for the job.

TheDivingPreacher:
While you're at it you better get the AL plate for travel and the steel for home. :)

Now your talking but web them both completely with D rings and the whole 9 so you don't have to hassle with adjustments for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom