Developing Live-aboard RB week-need input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tftkey

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to put together a week of deep rebreather diving on the wrecks in my back yard. Most notably the wreck of the Willksbare off of Key West (140 to 250 fsw). While I cannot give it away for nothing my goal is to attract divers with different units and spend the week with like individuals. To date this is what I had in mind:
>A week in Feb/March 2005:
>Possibility of spending the entire week exploring the Wilks:
>Other wrecks: Curb 180 fsw, PBY Palne 205 fsw, Sub 250 fsw
>Cost $1200 includes gas - food - accommodations – sofno lime?
>Instructors: I might entertain you and you students for deep diving---But I am thinking this sould be people already certified at this level or rebreather diving.
 boat can hold 10 to 12 comfortably- 14 max I would limit this to the 10-12 number....
 More input on the boat can be found at www.rvtiburon.com

I would love some input on this idea:

Thanks,

T

Some of things that many of us would most likely want to know:

Is there tri-mix available on the boat or between divign days?
What about 100% O2 fills on the boat or between diviving days
Is there DAN O2 on board as well as a trained provider?
How long is the boat ride from Key West to the Dive site?
Snofolime can be tricky, some us 4-8 other 8-12, so the type available would be nice to know.

Just some suggestions.

Mike...

Is there tri-mix available on the boat or between diving days?

Yes, I currently do not have a booster pump and have been bringing it in when needed for week trips. There is currently an 8 week wait on the pumps. We plan to have a permanent system in January.

What about 100% O2 fills on the boat or between diving days
The pump will solve this as well. Currently we are partial pressure filling.

Is there DAN O2 on board as well as a trained provider?Yes, We run with a registered nurse as well.

How long is the boat ride from Key West to the Dive site?
The wrecks are within 20 miles of our dock or 1.5 hour run. The liveabaord can actually return to the dock at night if weather does not cooperate. February can throw some uncomfortable weather our way. Not enough to cancel but makes sleeping an issue for some. The liveaboard I think is attractive for several reasons. Keep in mind I may be a bit prejudiced on this issue....
1. Loading and unloading each day is not an issue
2. Hotel rates in Key West are on the high side
3. With good weather we can maximize site and dive time.
4. Part of the trips it to spend time with pier’s

Snofolime can be tricky, some us 4-8 other 8-12, so the type available would be nice to know.
I was thinking the same thing. With some advance notice we can work it out peoples needs. The less people have to carry the better.

Stage bottles are also something to think of. We have twenty 80's---three 40's-----four 30's one each 13/19 Our goal to develop the Tiburon into a full rebreather support vessel for groups includes enough smaller stage bottles to do the job. Rome was not built in a day.

Our expedition work keeps us moving and we tend to be doing our own thing. Not much time to network. This is what I hope to accomplish with this week. So much to learn and so little time....

Thanks for the Questions and input.

T

Please keep me informed as you put together this trip.

I woul be interested to dive on this type of outing. I misseed Zero G this year and am always looking for rebreather friendly trips.

Mike...

ps email is mtlavery@gmail.com

My next step is dates... I am underway on December 5th to 10th. I will work on getting some firm dates dialed in. If anyone at this time has any suggestions that work better. Let me know. Also we always put an itineray together so everyone has a rough idea what to expect. It is not always stuck to but it does give us a road map for the week. I will work on that and post it on our web page. If anyone is interested in doing a talk or has any ideas please let me know.

T

I will post your information on the KISS CCR site and see if anyone in that group might also be interested. Tell me when you get a chance about some of the wrecks that you would like to dive on.

I've dived the tiburon before and am heading down in a few weeks to do some rebreather diving with tftkey - doing some deep wrecks. I hope I'll get a chance to get on the Feb/March trip as well.

They run a very cool liveaboard, with the ability to support a full range of research, diving and exploration activities. Tim has done some pretty amazing work in the Keys and has the experience to lead some unique trips that most liveaboards could never support for a variety of reasons. It sounds like a perfect trip to log some serious bottom time, nice warm water and some great wrecks.

Doug

I would be very interested in the trip. My schedule is 7 on 7 off, can you let me know what dates you were thinking of so i can see if it will work with my schedule?

Back
Top Bottom