Abalone Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When diving how do you store your spare abs? I use my grandads stand by. Take an inner tube, rig a spare landing net around it, make an opening using heavy rubber tubing (make sure this is a tight fit i.e. abs go in but you have to work to get them out. Tie off the ecxess on the bottom, mount a tie off line or weight to anchor in place, add a spare gauge, and straps to hook you fins to and your in business.

Mike Matthews:
When diving how do you store your spare abs? I use my grandads stand by. Take an inner tube, rig a spare landing net around it, make an opening using heavy rubber tubing (make sure this is a tight fit i.e. abs go in but you have to work to get them out. Tie off the ecxess on the bottom, mount a tie off line or weight to anchor in place, add a spare gauge, and straps to hook you fins to and your in business.

Hey Mike I only went ab diving once about 1 1/2 months ago and what I did is use my kids boogie board and tied my game bag to it with gauge.

The boogie board worked xint and I was able to ride the boogie board right over the kelp and got out father and faster.

I have no idea when I will do it again since its about a 6-7hr drive.

That takes diedication. I have to go home, to Northern (above Jenner) Calif to get abs. Well worth the effort.

scubapro5:
Hey Mike I only went ab diving once about 1 1/2 months ago and what I did is use my kids boogie board and tied my game bag to it with gauge.

The boogie board worked xint and I was able to ride the boogie board right over the kelp and got out father and faster.

I have no idea when I will do it again since its about a 6-7hr drive.

Us an Ab tube, kinda like what divemasters use for teaching classes, holding weights and stuff, the ab tube is nice because it is much cleaner than rigging up a net, doesn't get tangled in kelp like a net might and has a zip cover in case you get in the surf zone.
Ab Tube

This is what I use when spearing for surfperch too, cause the birds can't steal your catch when you are under.

Thanks Justin. I may need to take a drive to Glide. They are just down the road.

Justin699:
Us an Ab tube, kinda like what divemasters use for teaching classes, holding weights and stuff, the ab tube is nice because it is much cleaner than rigging up a net, doesn't get tangled in kelp like a net might and has a zip cover in case you get in the surf zone.
Ab Tube

This is what I use when spearing for surfperch too, cause the birds can't steal your catch when you are under.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom