AJ's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quetzal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Johnoly's fight with an AJ under "Jewfish" reminded me of my two encounters with them. I would like to here suggestions on how to spend less time and effort getting these guys on the boat.
Here they are so plentiful the guys call them Puppy Dogs. There is no challenge in shooting one, maybe a really big one would be more challenging but I'm just trying to feed myself and wife now. Later with more experience and skill I may go after bigger ones.
Oh yeah one reason the are so easy to get out here is that the guys don't shoot/eat them here because of a couple of worm pockets in them. But it only affects 10-15% of the meat. And theres alot of meat on one.
Back to the suggestions I'm still got a lot to learn.

If you stone them they come to the boat easier! Seriously though, if the shot is less than perfect and with a line gun instead of freeshafting you just have to rodeo them down. Take in line without getting tangled, get a hand in their gills and brain 'em with your knife. AJ's are one of the strongest fish in the ocean and will let you know that if you stick a spear in them in the wrong spot.

One of the biggest ones I've shot came back to life while on my stringer which was hooked to my bc. I had pulled his gills loose already and the stringer was through his eyes. He shook violently about 7-8 times in which time he bent the stringer open and knocked my reg. out of my mouth before swimming off as if nothing had happened. He was dead anyway but the throes of death were a b@#ch.

When you do kill an AJ take a few minutes to observe their anatomy while cleaning them. This will give you an insight as to where their brain and spine is for better shot placement.

Don't worry about the worms. Most of them have worms and are none the worse for it. Just cut out the bloodline and eat the fish. I'm sure I've eaten hundreds of worms! Can't tell after they're cooked!

Good luck, Steve.

Red Grouper and Scamp often have worms as well. I have seen whole, gutted, Red Grouper selling for $7 a pound in markets--worms included.

Worms?Can you say fishsticks?That's what many folks end up eating unknowingly.

llll
=======____
==O==x=======l____ llll
<===================<lll
=============== llll
ll ll

Aim for X

100days-a-year:
Worms?Can you say fishsticks?That's what many folks end up eating unknowingly.

llll
=======____
==O==x=======l____ llll
<===================<lll
=============== llll
ll ll

Aim for X
I do aim for X but an = just 1/4 inch away = one long fight. Thinking about getting a second shaft to bring along. Would that help you think? Sticking him twice.

can someone post a pic of the worms they have, I haven't seen worms in our westcoast fish.

Justin699:
can someone post a pic of the worms they have, I haven't seen worms in our westcoast fish.
I don't have a didgital camera but I can descibe them, about 3/8 circumference, and 1/2" long maybe 5/8" long. Pure white.

The Gulf AJs generally don't have worms. Don't know why they don't - but they usually don't have em. East Coast AJs often have worms, which is why they're not so well known as a good fish for the dinner-table. Groupers on both sides can either have them or not. Worms are pretty large, so wouldn't eat one without knowing so, about the size of a pencil though not straight and either white or black. Black ones are a little smaller. Just cut out of the meat when you come across them :)

I can't remember any from the N. gulf that don't have some worms!

Same here also, I just cut around the worms and toss it to the pelican's. They'll eat anything!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom