Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FengShui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody here ever hunted Octopus? We live in Southern California, and we commonly see Octopus on our shore dives. I'd love to grab one and bring it home to eat, but I can't find any information on whether the california octopuses are edible and if so, which parts are safe to eat. I've had octopus many times in sushi restaurants and in Japan, so I know I like it, but I'd like to be sure I can eat one that I grab before I go for it.

--Ted

FengShui:
Has anybody here ever hunted Octopus? We live in Southern California, and we commonly see Octopus on our shore dives. I'd love to grab one and bring it home to eat, but I can't find any information on whether the california octopuses are edible and if so, which parts are safe to eat. I've had octopus many times in sushi restaurants and in Japan, so I know I like it, but I'd like to be sure I can eat one that I grab before I go for it.

--Ted
Tastes like chicken. :11:

This may surprise those of you who associate me with marine conservation, but I'm not a total kelp hugger! I developed a taste for octopus in Greece many years ago and continue to eat it to this day. Of course it is all from sushi bars. From what I hear the local two spot octopus is indeed edible and fairly good. However, just in case the little cuties have a toxic substance I'm not aware of, get a second opinion.

I would find it hard to take one locally. I really enjoy running into them and videotaping their antics. However it isn't easy to eat an "octopus salad" at Flip & Mary's Sushi & Comedy joint here in Avalon- they are really cute little things... dead, but cute (and chewy).

Dr. Bill

I guess I'll be the only one to actually answer you.

Yes! We hunt for octo's. When you do take one, be sure to dispatch it with your knife, or bite the head crushing the brain.
If you just take one, and stick it in your bag, it will find a way out. They are too smart to be kept live in a game bag.
TIP: Do not rinse in fresh water! This will distort the tenderness, and flavor of the raw fresh tenticle.
I prefer them raw, but my wife likes it grilled for a few minutes.

Kyle

Thanks to all. I'm not planning on taking many octopuses. I usualy see 3 or 4 on each of our local shore dives, and I've enjoyed them at sushi restaurants many times. I'm mostly wondering if the california ones are edible in case I have an opportunity to grab one.

We've recently enjoyed the pleasures of eating the fresh lobsters, rock scallops and sea urchins that populate our lovely california coasts, and I'd like to try really fresh octopus at least once.

I eat octopus all the time, here at the seafood restaurants is a very popular dish, I don't know really how it's prepared, but tastes really good.

Diving, I haven't seen one ever, I guess that I don't look for the tell tales (scrap in front of a nook or rock).
I would like to see one alive underwater and interactuate with it underwater, I don't know if I would catch it, but definetely will keep on eating them on the restaurants.

Octopus are one of those animals that are more often seen on night dives - if you don't do night dives, chances are less that you'll see one while diving.

As long as legal and edible - I don't see a problem with getting some for "personal consumption/use".

IMHO - the reason some creatures are rare in the Pacific is that international laws allow other countries - i.e. Japan et al - harvest close to the US and South America. I recall one time I went offshore fishing (trolling/poles) while on vacation off of Costa Rica and the guide failed to even get a bite during the trip - with his explanation why no fish biting was there simply pointing to the Japaneese long-lining vessel off in the distance and saying that they took it all.... :(

I have heard that the best way to dispatch an octopus is to turn its head inside out and scrape the contents off of the animal. I have never tried it but wolud not hesatate to do it if i got my hands on one.

whalerkyle:
or bite the head crushing the brain.
If you just take one, and stick it in your bag, it will find a way out. They are too smart to be kept live in a game bag.
Kyle, they actually have three brains dude, that is why they are so smart..

REM700:
I have heard that the best way to dispatch an octopus is to turn its head inside out .
That is how I used to kill them as a kid. Turining them inside out is quick and easy.

Octopus:

Very cute.

Very inteligent.

Very delicious.

I think most people in this forum know that the big old guys (fish, lobsters, octos) are not as sweet as a small or medium sized one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom