15mm lens (sea & sea versus Nikonos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillago

Reaction score
Hi All
A friend of mine asked me this question which I am hoping somebody might be able to answer better then myself:
Which is a better buy, the sea & sea or nikonos 15mm? And why?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light into this

Sillago

The Sea&Sea is the better deal by far (this coming from a Nikonos 15 mm user). I cannot tell the difference between shots taken with my and a friend's Sea& Sea... and he spent ALOT less money on both the lens and the finder.
The Nikonos is more convenient for depth of field adjustments, but this only really affects close focus wide angle shots, because the depth of field of such a wide angle lens is excellent.

Hello,

There is a VAST difference in lens quality between the two. Bottom line is how will you be using it.

Ed

As with most things, you get what you pay for. If your aim is consistently publishable images, the Nikonos is the choice. Otherwise the Sea and Sea should be fine for most occasions

I had a Sea&Sea 16mm lens to attach to the 35mm Nikonos lens. But I wasn't happy with it. 2month later I took the Nikonos 15mm and I love it.
With the Sea&Sea you loose 1-2 f-stops. In dark lakes I'm often happy to have a fast lens underwater.

I did never buy something from Nikon that wasn't worth the money.

As Churchil said: I can only afford the most expensive one. (If I had tried the Sea&Sea I had left it in the store...)

I fyou are really serious about taking photos - go with the nikonos - a pro can tell the difference and do far more with the Nikonos -= especially with the depth field.

I have taken thousands of photos with both lens and basically keep my sea and sea as a back in the event I ever lose my nikonos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom