Speargun Accidents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro5

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard or witnessed another diver being shot or almost being shot by another diver?

I have never heard of a accident to date.

lal7176:
There was a dive shop owner near my area who was shot in the back by his buddy as he was climbing aboard his kayak with a loaded speargun.

That's right. He was one of my instructors. One of the guys he was hunting with surfaced with his gun still cocked and it went off. His spine was partially severed and he's confined to a wheelchair or at least he was. I haven't been in touch with him for a few years because he moved away. But there have been miracles...

bedmund:
That's right. He was one of my instructors. One of the guys he was hunting with surfaced with his gun still cocked and it went off. His spine was partially severed and he's confined to a wheelchair or at least he was. I haven't been in touch with him for a few years because he moved away. But there have been miracles...

Yep that was the one. Blair the owner of underwater excursions in visalia used to work at blue water ocean sports. If i ever get by that way again i'll have to ask about any updates to his condition if he has kept in touch with him.

Thats to bad. I always unband before getting out. But good to get it inforced further in my mind and hopefully others.
I was taught at 6 years old that I shouldn't point a loaded gun at anything I didn't want to kill. I still follow that rule. Of course accidents happen and hope we all keep aware of this.

The only speargun incidents I've heard about have been due to having loaded power-heads on the boat (should only be loaded underwater, but sometimes people forget or get lazy and think the risk is worth the convenience). Spearguns that use a line can only go like 15 ft or so underwater (without using a reel) under banded power and freeshafts a little farther, so few incidents are likely to happen. The simple don't point unless you're planning on shooting rule applies and works well. :)

About 10 years ago I witnessed an incident occur between 2 divers spearfishing. Each was eyeing a large grouper hiding under a bit of wreckage. Neither realized the other was on the other side. One decided to take the shot. The shaft hit the other diver's mask, shattering the lens, but deflecting enough that the tip grazed his temple rather than going into his eye. Both divers ascended without further incident or mishap. Good thing they were good friends, I suppose...........

I heard about a story of two guys fishing with polespears in hawaii, something happened and the paralyzer tip went into the other guys calf, barbs and all, but that was a polespear.

i was spear fishing in hawaii on the big island where i am from in the honokahau harber in kona when i seen a fish called a Kumu with used to be an alii fish ment only for kings i ended up shoting it but when i tried to cock my gun i did it in a hurry so i could shoot the other one up ahead. but i put the gun on my leg insted of on my stomach or chest and it sliped and the back of the gun shot into my leg with all the force it usually shoots the fish with, i knew it hurt but i only thought i had a bruse and i could continue witch i did i ended up haveing a great day of fishing by catching Kumu, uhu, and some popio. i also saw a bunch of sharks but got out of the water when i was done. i ended up haveing a huge hole in my leg the went almost to the bone i was able to stick my largest finger in it and still had some to go, i then got it all stiched up witch took about fourteen stiches.

one thing is for sure do not cock your gun on your leg because it is not as wide as your upper body and it might slip .

Back
Top Bottom