Old Video System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend of mine just brought over her old video system she used iin Cayman about 20 years ago. It's a Sony Video 8 (Video Camera Reorder ccd-M8u). It's housed in an Aqua Vision Systems, "Capsule 10". The housing company was based out of Montreal Canada.

It appears we can make the system work again if we could find a battery and charger

Any ideas?

check with a battery store like Interstate or something....they helped me with an old camera battery and charger.

Brian

cudachaser:
A friend of mine just brought over her old video system she used iin Cayman about 20 years ago. It's a Sony Video 8 (Video Camera Reorder ccd-M8u). It's housed in an Aqua Vision Systems, "Capsule 10". The housing company was based out of Montreal Canada.

It appears we can make the system work again if we could find a battery and charger

Any ideas?

Every sony camcorder I've ever used (I've never tried ones newer than 5 years old though) used the same battery. Yours is a little older, but it might use an off-the-shelf sony camcorder battery. One problem I've had with older video cameras is the condition of the heads and picture quality. I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where) that the average life of a video camera is 100 hours before the heads give up. Essentially this means that video cameras are disposable because it would cost more to replace the heads than the camera is worth. I haven't had much use out of used/older video cameras before I started to see the flashing lines on the screen and a head cleaner wouldn't get rid of it. I'm thinking of getting a new video camera, but since I'm cheap, I don't want to have to replace it in a year or so. Does anyone know if mini DVD camcorders have this limited head life problem? Am I crazy? Is this just an excuse to socialize?

cudachaser:

Any ideas?

Go to www.google.con and type "ccd-M8u" into the search box. I got many hits for batteries for that camera. Prices are about $23 to $25, not to bad.

The new mini DV camera are _so much_ better it is hardly worth using the old 8MM systems any more except in your case where you get one for free. Just don't spend much more on it.

CCD's were NOT in use 20yrs ago, tubes were. The 8mm video format came out maybe 1992-1994. Consumer CCD's are of that vintage.

"I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where) that the average life of a video camera is 100 hours before the heads give up."

I do not think so, that is not much shooting time. Maybe 500-1000 hours.

I've got a couple bushels of the old M8U stuff. They turn out an amazingly good picture for such an old fossil.
The things did have a tendency to have head alignment problems, so if your picture has a streak or 2 it may be time to ebay the camera for parts.
It has already been mentioned the batteries are very easy to get, though not at your local WalMart or other chain stores.

cudachaser:

Any ideas?

It takes a Sony NP-22 battery. There's two of them on eBay currently selling for $6. Not sure about a charger. You're also going to need an 8mm playback deck - EVC8u or similar - as the ccd-M8u is just a recorder. Or just use any old 8mm camcorder for playback.

MikeC:
CCD's were NOT in use 20yrs ago, tubes were. The 8mm video format came out maybe 1992-1994. Consumer CCD's are of that vintage.
I think Cudachaser's probably closer, I've got an old Sony TR5 manual that's copyright 1989 and it's at least one generation newer than a CCD-m8U. I read somewhere that the CCD-m8u was among the first 8mm camcorders, or the first 8mm Sony camcorder.

s****enstein:
I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where) that the average life of a video camera is 100 hours before the heads give up. Essentially this means that video cameras are disposable because it would cost more to replace the heads than the camera is worth. I haven't had much use out of used/older video cameras before I started to see the flashing lines on the screen and a head cleaner wouldn't get rid of it. I'm thinking of getting a new video camera, but since I'm cheap, I don't want to have to replace it in a year or so. Does anyone know if mini DVD camcorders have this limited head life problem?

The potential problem with mini DV recorders lies not in the recording heads, but rather with the gears that move the tape. Make certain you invest in a rewinder. The camera's motor is designed for the slow pace of recording - not the rapid rate of constant rewinding and fast forwarding. A little of each from time to time is no big deal, of course, but spending thirty bucks on a rewinder and using it often will greatly extend the motor life of your camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom