Fancy fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
The first and only pair of fins I bought were the Mares Plana Avanti. Have had them for about 4 years. Seem to work just fine. Came across the Mares Volo for a good price. Question is, would I really notice a significant difference? If so, how?

Thanks,

Hal

The best fin of all time also happens to be one of the least expensive.

Ooops... sorry... I see that you are really just considering the Mares Avanti vs Volo.

Uncle Pug:
The best fin of all time also happens to be one of the least expensive.

Ok, I'll bite. What is it?

I must say, I want to try some jet fins just to see what all the rage is about. That said, I have an old pair of plana avantis from 89. Good fins. I'll also add I have no desire to try the volos. To floppy for me and way, way to expensive for a fin. You could almost buy you and me and Uncle Pug a new set of jets for the price of the volos.

Jason

Jason B:
I must say, I want to try some jet fins just to see what all the rage is about. That said, I have an old pair of plana avantis from 89. Good fins. I'll also add I have no desire to try the volos. To floppy for me and way, way to expensive for a fin. You could almost buy you and me and Uncle Pug a new set of jets for the price of the volos.

Jason
Are you anywhere near Chesapeake? I have two sets of Rocket fins, a set of XL Jetfins, and a set of Turtle fins. The are all pretty much the same design and I would be happy to loan you a pair if you are nearby.

I would certainly be interested in hearing from someone who has tried the Volos. Price I found ($89) seems very good. I suppose, however, that my question is more general. That is, can I expect a significant difference between fins that are good (neither great nor bad) and one of the top-of-the-line fins?

I was fortunate enough to get a pair of Volo Power fins for free. The only other fins I had really used before were Aqualung Blades IIs. The Volos have pretty much replaced the Blades. They're fast and easy to kick. My wife uses regular Volos, and they're pretty much the same fin, the Powers are just a little larger.

and like them much better than the Volos I tried on two different occassions. The Volos felt 'mushy' to me.

However, my Jetfins ($35 eBay specials) are better than either of those...especially with a drysuit.

Back
Top Bottom