Small update on some panhandle springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Me and two other divers went to do a beach dive off of Gulf Shores, AL find the Whiskey Wreck, but the waves had picked up quite a bit from the previous day(they were 5-6') so we decided to invade the panhandle's springs :)

Morrisons very flooded, the entire basin consists of tannick water with maybe 3' visibility. We decided not to bother diving it and went up to Vortex.

Vortex was as clear as always, but we got there around 11, so the OW students had already kicked up the bottom. Ah well, atleast we got wet.

Yeah, I had checked the previous day on NOAAs river forecast and it showed Morrison being over a bankfull, but not by much, which is why we decided to give it a shot. Looking at the forecast today, it looks like they adjusted it quite a bit, showing for much higher water levels than they had actually predicted. :) Nobodies perfect, we knew we were probably gonna be paying an entrance at Vortex before we even got to Morrison.

Maybe two weeks from now... :D

Even though I've been kinda booked as of late, I have been looking at the water level at Morrison and was surprised to see that high level come through. The guy that used to run the shop said the level of the river would go up more in winter and be slower to go back down. I'm glad Vortex is always an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom