Please help! Need advise/inspiration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdescent

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm fairly new here, I've read a bunch but never posted till now.

I know divers to be friendly, helpful and kind people, that's why I'm posting now.

I am having a problem with dieting/exercising/loosing weight. I don't think I am "morbidly obese" but I need to loose about 30-40 lbs. I am 5' 7" 220lbs. I have a large bone structure and used to lift weights extensively. In fact, I’m nearly negative in the water as it is. If I loose the weight I want, I know I will be a serious sinker

I can’t seem to loose the weight, I need ya’lls help. I need ideas, or anything you think might help, maybe a good kick in the butt.

I just need some inspiration. I can see my quality of life declining. Stairs scare me now. I used to be in the Army about 8 years ago and was in great shape, of course. I want that back. Not to mention the looks and stares I get. PLEASE HELP!

Diverdescent

welcome...... You can lose the weight. I hate to say ain't nothing to it but to do it, but there ain't.

The KEY is consistency. Start today, walk 15 minutes. Walk 15 minutes every day. Take CONTROL of your food. You may not have control of what ultimately happens, but you do have control over what you do every day. Before you know it, a month of walking (or running or whatever) and eating right. Take pride in the small gains. Look at the fitness challenge thread, I've kept a weekly log. Every week, -1 or -2, or even +2, may not seem like big deal, but over 33 weeks it's 33 pounds...... it all adds up.

The problem is in your noggin. You need faith that the work you do will be good for you.

Good luck, keep checking in

Chris

Hey Diverdescent,

I was getting a little thick around the middle, and some how got into bicycling. Did this year round. Winter time, I would work out on a trainer - boring, so I got a music stand and read dive mags. Then started to lift weights a little. One thing to think about if you get into diving is when one of your buddies has a low SAC rate and you suck..air. Think about that while you exercise. Next thing, and this is stressed in Tom Mount's IANTD Agency is to visualize yourself in a situation where you need to go just a little bit more, then make yourself go just a little bit more. As mentioned above, a little bit over time adds up!

Have fun diving, and hope you "lose"!!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom