Luminox watch woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Help!

I bought a luminox watch a few months ago. I liked it. Doesn't fall into the "big, obnoxious watch" catagory.

Here's the problem. I dived the watch one time and it flooded, not really flooded but the moisture on the inside type of flood.

I looked at it and there is no obvious damage. the dive was only to 60' well within the watches' rating.

Here's the kicker. My wife did some house cleaning and threw away the receipt. Now we can't take it back. What are my options? Other than taking it the shorts for $200 bucks? Of course, the maker, Luminox requires a receipt for warrenty work.

Now what??

Help!

Darin

Time to buy another watch just for the paperwork, eh? :wink:
If you got it at a local retailer you may be able to have them send it in, or else check with whomever you got it from to see if they may be willing to help.
Some watch repair joints might otherwise be able to fix the thing.

One more trivia tidbit: the original military watch the Luminox is patterened after was never intended for diving, it didn't have the screw down crown. Luminox tweaked the design of the flyers navigator watch to make them more appropriate for diving.
Gotta love those tritium tracer tubes though.

Whoever you bought it from should set you up. When the retailer sends them back, they don't ask us for receipts. Just take it back where you got it.

Thanks all for the help, the problem has been fixed!

I took scubatoys' advise and took it back to the place I bought it. They said "well, the only thing we can do, since you don't have a receipt, is give you an in-store credit for the amount of the watch or replace it." GREAT, replace it!

They did replace it and with the exact model to boot.

Whew!

Boy, do I feel better.

Thanks for the help!

Darin

My experience with those is that they are very leak prone. I have had several friends over the years buy those and they all leaked. Some of the Casio and Timex cheapies work very well actually. For about 80-120 dollars St-Moritz has a dive watch but not sure how good it is. You could get a Heuer Formula 1 or their new Aquaracer or Prodiver. Price is going to run from about 600 dollars to 2,500 dollars. You can expect these to last most of a lifetime. There are some other watches out there like the Rolex but they get even more pricy and for no real gain in quality and in some places the Rolex can make you a target. For a dive watch your actually going to use I suggest keeping the price below 1,000 dollars. That way, if you loose it you will be unhappy and but not decimated. I am kinda a watch geek--sorry. Citizen has some decent dive watches also for not that much money, not cheap but not super expensive. I don't think your gonna be happy with the Luminox. N

We really haven't had much problem with them leaking... but keep in mind there are several versions. The all black graphite ones, that sell for about $150, do not have a screw down crown. The metal body ones - that start out at about $200, do have a screw down crown. We sell a lot of these... and so far, we've only had 1 customer report a propble, and it was on the graphite one. I've worn one of the titanium ones for the last 3 years, and never have had any problems... And the glowing tridium dials are awesome!

I've had more expensive dive watches fill with water, but my Luminox never has. I wear it daily and diving which is usually twice a week. When I'm down 100+ feet in a cavern it's glowing brightly and no other watch can match that. Stay with the Luminox not because I have it, but because it works.

I have the all-steel (case and bezel) model - never had any problems at depth. The Waterbourne strap it is on is starting to look like it needs a cleaning, though.

Love being able to see the time at night!

scubatoys:
We really haven't had much problem with them leaking... but keep in mind there are several versions. The all black graphite ones, that sell for about $150, do not have a screw down crown. The metal body ones - that start out at about $200, do have a screw down crown. We sell a lot of these... and so far, we've only had 1 customer report a propble, and it was on the graphite one. I've worn one of the titanium ones for the last 3 years, and never have had any problems... And the glowing tridium dials are awesome!

I have had mine for just a little over two years with about 15 dives...my last dive was last week and the some problem as above, with water in the dial. Does anyone know whether these can be repaired and if so, an approximate cost? Love how lightweight the watch is and especially the night time visibility but can't recommend the graphite since it apparently has a leak problem.

I have three of their watches and never had a problem with any of them outside of battery changes. Most people will set the date almost every month but they forget it's a two stop crown so it floods. Before every dive I check to see if my crown is pushed in all the way on my dual gasket models (3001 which I'm wearing at this moment and my 3901). On my screw down I need not worry as much, but I still check.

This place does all the warranty work for Luminox!

http://www.parsecent.com/

Parsec Enterprises, Inc.
7501 N. Harker Dr.
Peoria, IL 61615
1-309-689-6531
Fax: 1-309-689-6543
mailto:repairs@parsecent.com

Back
Top Bottom