Daytona/Manatees????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zuzanne

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going to be in Daytona in February for the Daytona 500 and was wondering if there is anywhere in this general area to snorkel or dive with the manatees. We don't have enough time to drive over to Crystal River & back.

Suzanne

Probably not. I lived in Daytona for 7 years and only saw manatees once....during one of my 3 1/2 years guarding on the beach. The ocean is probably too cold in February in Daytona beach-if I remember right, it gets down into the 60s (summer, it's 90). Crystal River and the other places are in the 76-78 range all year, so the mermaids move in there.

I've been to Crystal River, and it's definitely worth the trip!

You might be lucky in some of the inland springs, like Alexander and maybe Defuniak?

Suzanne,

Blue Springs in Orange city is not far and about straight west of Daytona on the St. Johns River. You can see Manatees from the boardwalk there but it is very rare to be approached by them in the water and you are not allowed to approach them. Still a nice trip to dive the head spring (120 ft deep), snorkel the run, and watch the manatees from the boardwalk.

Have fun,
Chris

If you want to "see" them Blue Spring is your place, if you want to "interact" with them Crystal River is for you - its about 1 hour to Blue and a good 2.5+ to Crystal River from Daytona.

Thanks for the info. We will check out Blue Springs. I love Crystal River, but unfortunately due to other committments this trip just doesn't leave us with enough time to make the trip over there from Daytona.

Zuzanne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom