Question on Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at picking up a pair of jet fins but I'm a little concerned on the size issue. Due to my shoe size (9) I will need a large. I found where Kidspot has a site with a comparison of the various jets and turtle sizes. He has a great picture which I cropped and attached below (kidspot, I hope you don't mind). Look how short the large size is. Do you think they are too short to get any thrust?
Thanks,

Jason

I use size large jetfins.
They provide plenty of thrust.

Depending on your exposure protection, you may want to consider XL's, though.

As I said, for recreational diving I use size L. My drysuit has attached boots and a pair or two of socks underneath.

When I dive for work, that rubber Hunter drysuit has much thicker boots and the size XL Jets work just fine.

I'm surprised to see such a size difference between the L and XL. They don't even look like the same fin .

I just started using Jet fins. I bought a cheap used pair to see what all the fuss was in the whole split fin vs. more traditional designs.

I love the fact that they're so much smaller. My old Tusa split fins barely fit into my SCUBA bag's fin compartment.

I added spring straps to my Jet fins, which make the extremely easy to put on and take off. With my Tusa's, I had trouble climbing the boat's exit ladder.

So far, I feel like the Jet fins have a good thrust and are very "responsive" in the water. For travelling a long distance at a steady pace, my Tusa split fins were a bit more effective. It seems like I could get a nice, easy momentum going with the Tusa's.

However, my Tusa's are HUGE compared to the Jet Fins, and the difference in their effectiveness in the area of gaining a steady momentum (something I don't need to do very often) was relatively small.

Thanks Snowbear and Eric,
I'm a wetsuit diver, so I'm pretty sure the large is what I need. I currently use a pair of "regular" avanti quattros, which fit fine so I'm thinking the Large is my fit. After I posted I got to thinking....if I was in a boat, a short stiffer paddle would surely work better than a longer flimsy paddle.
Again, thanks,

Jason

Jason... don't pick your fins based on how they will work in a boat... how they work in the water is what counts.

As for the shorter Jets having enough thrust... think of them as just a lower geared version of the longer ones. They will work just fine but the foot pocket might be an issue. I use XL Jets with wetsuit boots (size 10) but can't use them with my drysuit so I went with Turtles for the larger foot pocket.

Hopefully you can find someone who will let you try them... but even if you have to buy both sizes off of ebay you won't lose much if anything reselling the one you don't want.

The deal with Jet fins isn't speed and distance but traction and precise control. Not that they can't delive speed and distance... they can.

LOL, never meant to sound as if speed (or boating) was my concern as it isn't. Just wanted to make sure they would provide me the thrust required to counter currents and such. I don't suppose I could get one of you nice guys to measure the width of a L or XL jet foot pocket for me could I?

EDIT:I just went back to kidspots web-page and see he has measurements for the XL jet and I think that may be what I need. My wetsuit boots are the type with a hard sole with a width of 4".
Who has gone from a mares quattro (size reg) to jets, and what size did you use.

Thanks guys,

Jason

Jason,
I use a Jet Fins size L. Next time we get together, you can try them. I know we mentioned it last time out but got side trackes. :wink:

Thanks Dale,
I just need to try them on to see if they fit so I can figure out what size.

Jason

Jason if you are using the hard soled wetsuit boots then I would expect you will end up needing the XL Jets... but since Dale has a pair of large to try out that is where to start.

I'm a size nine, & use Turtles & spring straps with both my wet-suit/drysuit boots with no problems. No leg cramps or slipping off.

Back
Top Bottom