diving for dungeness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW

Contributor
Reaction score
The season has opened in california, and will be opening soon farther north if it hasn't already. Does anybody have good locations on the pacific coast to dive for dungies. Yummy I can smell them steaming now

The little bay by Dillons beach should be a good spot, crap, I can't rember the name. I just about grew up there.....Rumored to be a white shark nursery.
Or try Ft Bragg.

I used to anchore at Drakes Bay (Pt Reyes) while on multiple day trips.
The bay is about 35 deep or so where we would set camp.
We would alway fill our big crab pot when left out over night.
Being that you are not protected by kelp I'm not sure I'd dive there, but then again I'm the kind of guy that's afraid to go for abs.
GW breeding grounds are just around the corner.
In the Monterey area the dunguness are to deep to harvest.
YMMV.
Andy

I dove on the sheltered side of the jetty on Doran beach, caught 3 each for a 50 minute dive, I guess that was alright, one was right against the rocks, walking away from a hoop net set out by some people on shore, I grabbed it and ascended, offered it to them. I know they likely wouldn't have caught it, but I didn't want them to think in the slightest that i got if from their net.

Vallenar Bay in Ketchikan, Alaska. Every time we hit the water, we come up with the limit, and quick. Weather and season doesn't seem to play a part. The only pain were the pissed off sea lions who continually charge, stop a few inches away from your face, and blow bubbles out of their nose. Tongass Narrows can get a little choppy from time to time also (especially in a center console).

The bay is also home to tiny dolphin, seals, and whales come by on the outside very frequently.

Cheers,
Jamie

I limited yesterday in short order here in California. With only one week left of the season I figured I would take one more opportunity to gather some dungies. Tasty!

Back
Top Bottom