Great Barrier Reef Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Detonate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After arriving in Australia we spent the first few days touring the Waterfall Circuit and visiting one of the local Zoo's.

The waterfalls we saw weren't that impressive compared to the ones we had seen in Hawaii, but it was still a very nice drive around some beautiful countryside.

Zoo's in Australia are much different from the ones here in the state. In most cases you can get extremely close to the animals, and in some cases even feed and pet the animals. Even some very dangerous animals, like the crocodiles where still close enough that someone as tall as me, could have reached over the barrier and touched them.

After adjusting to the time change it was finally time to start our Live Aboard with Mike Ball Dive Expeditions for a 3 day Fly/Dive trip to the outer ribbon reefs and the World Famous Cod Hole.

We met at the Cairns Colonial Reef Club, where we met the other members of our cruise, and did some last minute paperwork. At that time we were bused to the local airport, where we boarded small 10 seater airplanes for a low level (<1000 ft.) flight over the great barrier reef to Lizard Island.

041122_Australia_Jim_020.jpg

After our arrival at Lizard Island we were taken by small inflatable hull dingies out to the Super Sport vessel, and met the crew for the first time.

By noon we were at our first dive site, and we did 3 dives the first day.

041122_Australia_Jim_026.jpg

The reefs were very amazing! Lots of life, both big and small at every site. The coral isn't as colorful as Cozumel, but to me it was more impressive, and the soft corals were very nice. Also, the marine life was the real attraction. Large schools of fish were very common sites.

Sometime on the second dive my camera flooded, which was a total bummer, as I surfaced after only 30 minutes into the Cod Hole dive, which was supposed to be the major site of the trip.

The next day we had the opportunity for 5 dives, and from this point on, I shot the C5050 with the D180 Strobe, which was very difficult to adjust to, but thankfully I'm happy with the results.

041122_Australia_Jim_028.JPG

041122_Australia_Jim_036.JPG

On the 3rd day we did 4 dives.

The diving was absolutely amazing! I'm going to have a hard time going back to Cozumel after diving the Pacific.

The Mike Ball crew was excellent as well. The Super Sport Boat was certainly nothing special. But the crew was awesome! The food was excellent, and the Trip Director, Kerrin, gave the most entertaining and informative briefings I've ever heard.

All in all, it was the best trip ever, and I'm going to have to find a way back there some time soon.

You can view the entire gallery here.

Great photos, Jim!

Very nice piccies! I've always wanted to do a Mike Ball trip. That turtle close-up is superb - I first thought it was shot with the D70 until I looked at the EXIF.

Sometime on the second dive my camera flooded, which was a total bummer
:11: Which one? Please don't say the D70! Which housing? And was the camera destroyed??! :11:

Thanks guys.

Yes, the D70 flooded. Not exactly sure what happened yet.

We came across some huge Potato Cods on the second dive and I was trying to take a picture but the camera would shoot. I looked at the display and it was off. I checked, and sure enough, the camera was on.

I started thinking that maybe the battery was dead, but I couldn't imagine that happening as I just charged the battery and can normally go days without recharging.

That's when I noticed about an 1" of water in the bottom of the housing.

We cut the dive short, and I tried my best to salvage the camera with no luck. Thankfully the days worth of pictures were Ok, and thankfully I have H20insurance, but was is the most depressing, as this was a once in a lifetime trip to Australia, and I didn't really get to get to shoot my D70.

I checked both the front O-Ring, and changed to my other port and check the O-ring on it as well, and took the housing back down to about 20 feet and noticed water seaping in again. The housing is an Ikelite housing, and Ike is going to take a look at it for me and see what is going on.

But really, despite my obvious disappointment, the trip was fantastic. I can't say enough great things about the Mike Ball staff, Australia, and the dive sites we hit on the Great Barrier Reef. Everything there made this the best trip ever, and I'm sorry to say I probably won't get the opportunity to revisit Australia for many years to come.

I'll check back in with a report on H2oinsurance, I never expected to be making a claim with them, but I submitted it on Sunday, and now we'll just have to wait and see how long the process is.

Thanks for the report and pics.
I'm hearing too many wet camera stories for my taste. Sorry about your loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom