it's never too early to think of summer dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lara1018

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi guys! if you're even remotely as thin skinned like i am, you'll understand. or you've sworn off diving for the rest of the "winter" seaon. laugh all you want. (am sure some are) i only survived last weekend's dives because of my hood. my group is thinking of our summer dives already. and since i'm sure a LOT of you have gone diving more extensively that i have, where would you go to dive in the visayas? aside from the old staples: cebu, bohol, dumaguete? where else is interesting? i know there's a lot. and have heard of some out there. but i'd like to find out what you think :) camiguin? siquijor?

lara1018:
cebu, bohol, dumaguete? where else is interesting? i know there's a lot. and have heard of some out there. but i'd like to find out what you think :) camiguin? siquijor?

You haven't gone to Boracay yet? Go dive Yapak II. It's awesome. When it's on (with an upcoming tide) you jump in out in the blue and let the strong current take you to the wall. With the right tide it's pretty guaranteed you'll see a few gray reef sharks, giant trevally, dog tooth tuna and there was a resident school of chevron barracuda that would hang just on top of the wall. It's good.

Southern Leyte is a great place to go. The best time to dive there is Jan-Jun, although the one time I went it was in August and it was still good. I'm thinking to trying to go again during Chinese New Year in February.

Summer (Mar-May) is the time to go to Tubbataha, but you probably know that already.

Enjoy where ever you go and safe diving!

Drew

Havent been, but would like to some day...are the Cuyo islands and south of the Cuyos, Cagayan/Calusa islands. About half way between Negros and the Tubbataha Reefs.

hank, yes, i've been to boracay. but never to dive. i'll try that some other time when it's really just a boracay trip. i don't think i'd be able to tear myself away from boracay to go further on a mini dive safari in the visayas! :D
buddha, southern leyte sounds interesting... anyone you could refer to me in particular? yes am not passing up the opportunity of doing a tubbataha trip next year as well.
thanks for all the replies! keep them coming!
lara

Hi Lara,

Try Peter's Dive Resort, www.whaleofadive.com. I really enjoyed the diving there.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Drew

lara1018:
hi guys! if you're even remotely as thin skinned like i am, you'll understand. or you've sworn off diving for the rest of the "winter" seaon. laugh all you want. (am sure some are) i only survived last weekend's dives because of my hood. my group is thinking of our summer dives already. and since i'm sure a LOT of you have gone diving more extensively that i have, where would you go to dive in the visayas? aside from the old staples: cebu, bohol, dumaguete? where else is interesting? i know there's a lot. and have heard of some out there. but i'd like to find out what you think :) camiguin? siquijor?
tell me about camiguin ha... heard it's a to-die-for dive area that's not commercialized pa...

Jag

Hank49:
You haven't gone to Boracay yet? Go dive Yapak II. It's awesome. When it's on (with an upcoming tide) you jump in out in the blue and let the strong current take you to the wall. With the right tide it's pretty guaranteed you'll see a few gray reef sharks, giant trevally, dog tooth tuna and there was a resident school of chevron barracuda that would hang just on top of the wall. It's good.
from what i've heard of boracay diving (in general) it's not that great... especially if you've been spoiled on the galera and anilao reefs... diving in bora only gets good if you go further out to carabao island and that area...

thats what i've been told when i asked last year if it was worth the effort to carry my dive gear to my boracay trip last year... both a DM and a DI told me it wasn't worth it... in fact it was just worth renting stuff just to say that i got to "dive bora"

on the other hand, i wouldn't miss the op to go beach and party in bora hehehehehe

Jag

Yapak is an excellent site, but after that things go down hill pretty quickly. There is a pretty nice artificial reef wreck out front of White Beach and Crocodile Island is pretty good, especially as a drift, and I have had enjoyable dives at Friday's Rock when the currents just right and there are loads fish just hanging in the current. But the only site that rates with PG and Anilao is Yapak.

I've worked in PG and in Boracay, if you want to party go to Boracay; if you want to dive go somewhere else. I plan to do a lot of both in PG over Christmas :wink:

Drew

happybuddha:
Yapak is an excellent site,

I've worked in PG and in Boracay, if you want to party go to Boracay; if you want to dive go somewhere else. I plan to do a lot of both in PG over Christmas :wink:

Drew
i'm scheduled to go to bora again this summer for a job (hosting the nestea beach volley thing... they actually PAY me to go to boracay!!!!)

i just might squeeze yapak 2 in to itenerary hehehehehehe still won't carry my stuff though... got a shop you can recommend around the station 2 area?

what work you do in PG and Bora? dive work? you lucky bug...

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom