Mares IRIS and USB converter: Little Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonwallace

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I know this has come up off and on, but I post on various sites hoping for a little help. My local dive shop is very nice, but I cannot expect them to be IT experts.

I have a Nemo watch and the IRIS download unit. This works fine if I download on my work PC which as a serial port, but my home PCs have only USB ports. I have tried two converters (Sitecom and Belkin) but cannot get the download to work. The PC finds the IRIS, but the download stops with an error early in transmission.

Anybody have a MARES email address to try? Anyone from MARES checking this site?

Best Regards
JW

Just a quick note to anyone else that might be interested. The instructions Chris came up with worked great. The trick (that I missed) was making sure that the Com port from the IRIS matched the com port number assigned on the PC. This did occur to me, but my PC assigned number 7 while the IRIS has only numbers 1-4 available. The program Chris referred to helps change the assignment on the PC.

Technically, this should work with other USB converters too, but I'm not going to push my luck and find out!

Thanks again, Chris!

JW

Sydney_Diver:
Hi Jon
Glad to hear it worked.
If anyone else would like the instructions they can be found here in PDF Format.
http://homepage.mac.com/myprism/iris_to_usb_Instruct_.pdf

They will soon reside here.
http://www.capebyronimports.com.au/news.php

If anyone has any trouble in making this work please do not hesitate to drop me a line.

Cheers
Chris
Hey Chris, I have the same problem with my IRIS, can't get it to work, checked your instructions, just wondering what SITECOM is? and where to get it, how to use it. thanks-- Deepdiver104

Yeah, some dive computer manufacturers think that serial ports are still widely used.

This is the main reason that I did not buy a Suunto Mosquito, as my 3+ year old laptop does not have a serial port and I don't want to buy some serial to USB converter.

Deepdiver104:
Hey Chris, I have the same problem with my IRIS, can't get it to work, checked your instructions, just wondering what SITECOM is? and where to get it, how to use it. thanks-- Deepdiver104

Hi Deep Diver
Sorry for not getting back sooner, I have been away for work
This is the Sitcom Adaptor we use to connect theMares Iris interface to USB on the computer

http://www.sitecom.com/products_info.php?product_id=137&grp_id=1

Cheers
Chris

Deepdiver104:

Just a quick note. I do not know where you are located, but I could not find Sitecom in the US or Canada. I ended up ordering from the UK at this site. www.smcdirect.com

I am not sure this brand of converter is needed, but I sure needed the software that came with it! (Shipping was almost as much as the converter!)
Best Regards,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom