Maine Lobster in So.Cal diving Redondo 11/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro5

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to go out diving last night at 7pm,I was fully suited up and ready to go in but I decided the winds and swells were too bad and skipped diving.

Today I decided to try a day dive since the wind was calm so me and Leah(daughter) headed for the boat at 11am and was met with calm seas with next to no wind.

We headed out to my dive spot in Redondo canyon,I suited up and jumped in. I havn't dove this deep reef in a year so it was good to see it again. There was not as many lobsters as I thought there would be but it should get better in the coming months as it usually does.

There was a bunch of short lobster so I had to keep moving on and looking and had a steady pic of the legal ones.

I than saw a big set of claws inside a hole and our family likes to eat crab so I took another look and realized it was a Maine lobster so I reached in and grabbed it by the claw and hoping I wasn't going to get pinched by the other claw LOL But it came right out and ito the bag it went.

I continued the dive and rounded out my limit of lobsters and headed up.

I had to do a bit of a deco which is always normal for this deep of a dive and when I got back on the boat it was strange to look at a maine lobster.

I figure the lobster was released by someone on Redondo Pier.

Depth:160ft
Temp at depth:46 degrees
Vis:25ft+

7 1/2lb Maine Lobster

2maine_lobster_003-med.jpg

2maine_lobster_009-med.jpg

2maine_lobster_011-med.jpg

2maine_lobster_012-med.jpg

Hmmm... was debating how to respond to this! I think I'll simply say thanks for removing another exotic from our waters... and pass the butter!

Dr. Bill

Good catch Roger! I agree with Dr. Bill, and I am sure there are a few more of those out there. You hear stories all the time of people buying lobster at grocery stores and releasing them to "set them free!" All heart, no brains.
Too bad the tails are so small on those glorified crabs!

Robert Phillips:
Good catch Roger! I agree with Dr. Bill, and I am sure there are a few more of those out there. You hear stories all the time of people buying lobster at grocery stores and releasing them to "set them free!" All heart, no brains.
Too bad the tails are so small on those glorified crabs!
But the meat in the claws is great, and overall better tasting than the clawLess variety..

That's a good size catch, it must have relocated a long time ago. How did it taste?

please, report that catch to california fish and game, i'm sure they will like to know the location. You will be in no way in trouble and likely be thanked for removing the exotic from our waters. I know they like to keep track of this stuff, so they know when these are first reported, in case of a problem later down the line, helps protect our fisheries.

scubapro5:
I tried to go out diving last night at 7pm,I was fully suited up and ready to go in but I decided the winds and swells were too bad and skipped diving.

Today I decided to try a day dive since the wind was calm so me and Leah(daughter) headed for the boat at 11am and was met with calm seas with next to no wind.

We headed out to my dive spot in Redondo canyon,I suited up and jumped in. I havn't dove this deep reef in a year so it was good to see it again. There was not as many lobsters as I thought there would be but it should get better in the coming months as it usually does.

There was a bunch of short lobster so I had to keep moving on and looking and had a steady pic of the legal ones.

I than saw a big set of claws inside a hole and our family likes to eat crab so I took another look and realized it was a Maine lobster so I reached in and grabbed it by the claw and hoping I wasn't going to get pinched by the other claw LOL But it came right out and ito the bag it went.

I continued the dive and rounded out my limit of lobsters and headed up.

I had to do a bit of a deco which is always normal for this deep of a dive and when I got back on the boat it was strange to look at a maine lobster.

I figure the lobster was released by someone on Redondo Pier.

Depth:160ft
Temp at depth:46 degrees
Vis:25ft+

7 1/2lb Maine Lobster

2maine_lobster_003-med.jpg

2maine_lobster_009-med.jpg

2maine_lobster_011-med.jpg

2maine_lobster_012-med.jpg
I have caught alot of lobsters here in Massachusetts but I have NEVER seen one that was that color! Black! What the heck was wrong with that bug? How did he taste?

That's a nice-sized critter there. I bet your eyes must have bounced off your mask plate when you first realized what it was down there in the hole. From the color of it, it looks more like the European variant of the clawed lobster.

keelhaul123:
I have caught alot of lobsters here in Massachusetts but I have NEVER seen one that was that color! Black! What the heck was wrong with that bug? How did he taste?

It tastes like chicken LOL

No really it tasted very good and yes the color is weird but as you can see from the other lobsters I caught in the same area it was just that one that was dark colored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom