Best springs dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadubes

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to try diving in one of the Florida springs this winter. What are people's opinions about which is the best... Ginnie Springs or Blue Grotto?? Or something different? I am not cavern or cave certified, so my dive would be limited to the portions that would be safe for open water divers. What do you guys recommend?

Ginnie is $3 cheaper, it has a few options - ballroom, peeking into the little devil, devils eye and ear. I found Blue Grotto a bit dull really, now Devils Den i found interesting and managed two dives off of that, Paradise Springs is possible to do two dives on, but i would leave BG alone :wink: Get yourself some cavern training young man and you can explore a little more of the underwater caves in the north part of FL.

I plan on getting out to Blue Spring and maybe Devils Den myself this weekend...
I love the Den myself...But dem stairs...(yikes) lol

Jean

What do you mean, stairs?? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know a darn thing about the "Den". I've heard about Blue Spring... what is that like????

jeandiver:
I plan on getting out to Blue Spring and maybe Devils Den myself this weekend...
I love the Den myself...But dem stairs...(yikes) lol

Jean

This past February when i was at Devils Den my diving buddy slid halfway down those stairs while walking down with her gear on. I just froze at the top of the stairs. I was too far away to do anything to help. I just prayed she wouldn't break something or fall in the water. She was physically okay but a little shakey during the dive.

Other than the dreaded stairs (slick and steep) I enjoyed Devils Den.

I think they grease them weekly! :D

BTW, there is Blue Springs up near the Suwannee and then there is Blue Spring down by Deland. Many people get them confused!

For a GREAT site on Springs look HERE and HERE!

From what I understand the most recent survey has put the number of springs in Florida to over 800. There was a major effort to count those in lakes and all along the Suwannee and Santa Fe Rivers.

BTW, I think both Blue Grotto and Devils Den should require a Cavern certification. Of the two, the Den is far prettier and far more interesting. You might check out Blue Spring (By Deland) and Alexander Springs to experience some of Florida's prettiest springs.

If you do either Blue Grotto, Devils Den or Paradise Springs I recommend doing them on a weekday if possible. They are used quite a bit in the winter for openwater training and the new students can silt it out pretty good. Usually by Wednesday they are settled back down and make for great dives. Ginny and Blue Springs have such a high flow that they can clear out in a matter of minutes so any day will be good for them.

Brian

Out of Ginnie, BG, and DD, I would go for Ginnie, 4 springs that are easily accessible :) They'll keep you busy! DD is pretty dang cool though, I dove 2 tanks on it without much problem. BG is ok, but after a single tank, you've seen everything there is to see - with all the other options in the area - I'd spend that $30 elsewhere.

On a related note... is Ginny "worth it" for folks who are not cave / cavern certified (and, frankly, not quite ready for that yet anyway?) It's close by, looks nice from the photos, and seems to be a great opportunity to sneak a quick dive in... BUT, we really don't want the swimming pool experience. Is there enough accessable to OWD certified folk that it's worth the fee and a couple hour drive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom