key largo-thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone planning a winter trip to dive Florida; Just got back from quickie trip to key Largo for Thanksgiving- was strangely quiet this year???- Most boats I watched were half empty- and there did not seem to be as many people around.

weather- top temps were warm and sunny- 78-80, little wind. Water temps were clocked between 76 and 79(allegedly) at 40 ft, but it felt much closer to the 76. I am a little soft, and dove with a 3mm jumpsuit day one- froze my butt off- quickly added a 3mm short over the top, but was still pretty chilly after 20 mins under. My buddy wore a beanie and gloves too. I would recommend a fleece for the boat ride back also.
Seas were calm- 1-2ft max.

Boat- went with Silent World - very nice people-would recommend them - really good pre-dive briefs, very friendly, nice boat- was a little crowded when full (only one trip) with 13 divers, but most trips had 10 and below - plenty of room. I thought these guys were really cool as I had a package of dives, but had to cancel a morning and afternoon trip due to ear infection (or possible barautrauma- haven't seem a doc yet!!!) but they offered rainchecks for the unused dives- I rarely experience this with other op's, so this was a bonus.

Dives- nice locations- operator was very cool about asking divers where they wanted to go, trips out were short, and they try hard to go to different spots for those on multi-day packages. Vis was a little down- there has been some choppy weather and things are a little stirred up, but still nice dives, saw more soft corals than I have ever done in the Keys and huge nurse sharks, eagle rays, morays and barracuda. Tons of christmas tree worms too- nice for the festive season :)

now I just have to sort out my ear problem.....

happy diving

munkispank:
For anyone planning a winter trip to dive Florida; Just got back from quickie trip to key Largo for Thanksgiving- was strangely quiet this year???- Most boats I watched were half empty- and there did not seem to be as many people around.

weather- top temps were warm and sunny- 78-80, little wind. Water temps were clocked between 76 and 79(allegedly) at 40 ft, but it felt much closer to the 76. I am a little soft, and dove with a 3mm jumpsuit day one- froze my butt off- quickly added a 3mm short over the top, but was still pretty chilly after 20 mins under. My buddy wore a beanie and gloves too. I would recommend a fleece for the boat ride back also.
Seas were calm- 1-2ft max.

Boat- went with Silent World - very nice people-would recommend them - really good pre-dive briefs, very friendly, nice boat- was a little crowded when full (only one trip) with 13 divers, but most trips had 10 and below - plenty of room. I thought these guys were really cool as I had a package of dives, but had to cancel a morning and afternoon trip due to ear infection (or possible barautrauma- haven't seem a doc yet!!!) but they offered rainchecks for the unused dives- I rarely experience this with other op's, so this was a bonus.

Dives- nice locations- operator was very cool about asking divers where they wanted to go, trips out were short, and they try hard to go to different spots for those on multi-day packages. Vis was a little down- there has been some choppy weather and things are a little stirred up, but still nice dives, saw more soft corals than I have ever done in the Keys and huge nurse sharks, eagle rays, morays and barracuda. Tons of christmas tree worms too- nice for the festive season :)

now I just have to sort out my ear problem.....

happy diving

I was down also on Tuesday and my dive boat group cancelled,but they found me a dive trip next door Tavernier Dive center, and a guy from Michigan dove just shorts!!!T-Day the Air was cool but water was warm up near Palmbeach,hey try them eardrops after your dive they seem to stop that ear thing for me,hope all works out!

Thanks for the update!! I'm still planning my trip to Key Largo in mid-January. So do you think a 7mm farmer-john 2 piece will be plenty warm?

I'd say a 7mm is way overkill for 76-78 degree water. I'd wear a 3mm two-piece or a 5mm one-piece.

again- depends on how you dive- I get cold fairly easily as I swim very slowly and stop lots. I definately needed the thicker suit- others on the boat with me were diving either a 5mm full, and a couple had 7mm farmer johns. Some were also wearing shorties- but most of them were complaining about being cold. In Jan, you can expect the temps to drop a few degrees to 74-76, so bargain for that. Also, remeber that this was in 40 ft- if you are diving deeper (like the speigal etc) then it will drop a little too.

I would bring the 7mm- better to have more warmth then too little- and as you are based in Florida, you will probably feel the cold quicker than those from up north. I almost didn't take my shorty, but I am glad I did. With the two suits on I was a little cold, but not bad. The difference in air consumption was striking- on my first dive with just a 3mm, I was using air at literally twice the rate, compared to diving with the extra warmth.

Hope you have a great trip in January- Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom